VMware Cloud Community
mfortin
Contributor
Contributor

SAN Snapshot issues

Hi,

I have a problem with my san. After a reboot, I see my datastore is now renamed with a snap-00000002 prefix. My VMS are no longer being accessible.

I cannot rename the SAN to it's old name because it says it is already in use.

I have set the LVM.DisallowSnapshotLuns to 1 and the LVM.EnableResignature is set to 0.

Can anyone please help ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

In the VI client, if you select the View\Inventory\Datastores you'll be able to see the old data store name there and then be able to delete in (or rename it to something else). you'll then be able to rename the data store with the snap prefix.

0 Kudos
mfortin
Contributor
Contributor

Would that give me access back to my VM ?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You'll likely have to re-register the VMs. What sort of problem did you have with your SAN?

0 Kudos
mfortin
Contributor
Contributor

how do i re-register my vm ?

I have the same san hooked up to 10 ESX. 8 of them are still working with the old name. I do not want to lose the connection on those.

I might have to schedule some down time Smiley Sad

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You would typically right click on the existing VM and then select remove from inventory. Then you would right click on the data store and browse to the VMX file for the VM and then right click ond register. Or you could do this from a console session with vmware-cmd.

Is this LUN being shared between the 10 hosts? If so you shouldn't rename it, but rather try to figure out why 2 of them see the LUN as a snapshot. Perhaps someone made a configuration change on the SAN and the LUN ids for these 2 hosts is now different than before.

0 Kudos
mfortin
Contributor
Contributor

Someone set the LVM.EnableResignature to 1....

I figured out the re-registering part...

0 Kudos
mfortin
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to revert bck from snapshot ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

0 Kudos