VMware Cloud Community
ROE
Contributor
Contributor

Running IBM UpdateXpress on ESX 3.5?

Hi

A typical Linux-newbie question I'm afraid

I'm running ESX Server 3.5 on IBM Blades (Type 8843-21Y). Running UpdateXpress on a Windows blade I have downloaded all the applicable updates and copied them to the ESX servers local disk (using the Storagebrowser in the VI client).

Then I downloaded the UpdateXpress installer for RedHat and ESX3 (uxspi302.rhel3) from

Copied that to the same local UpdateXpress directory on the ESX server.

Then, using PuTTY:

# ls -l uxspi302.rhel3

-rw------- 1 root root 44035473 Oct 28 17:06 uxspi302.rhel3

# chmod +x uxspi302.rhel3

# ls -l uxspi302.rhel3

-rwxxx 1 root root 44035473 Oct 28 17:06 uxspi302.rhel3

# ./uxspi302.rhel3

-bash: ./uxspi302.rhel3: cannot execute binary file

What else do I need to do to get the uxspi302.rhel3 running, and apply the updates?

/Robert

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kesparlat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't recommend that you do that. UpdateXpress is for RedHat not for ESX. You are working with Service Console that is a RedHat, but Service Console is a Virtual Machine that doesn't have full acces to hardware.

Regards.

0 Kudos
ROE
Contributor
Contributor

The Service Console is not a "regular" Virtual Machine, as it has one foot in the hypervizor layer and therefor hardware access.

I fiddled around a bit with my problem again, and found that if I copied the file from a SMB mountpont (instead of the Storage Browser in the VI Client) all files got the +x bit, and then the uxspi302.rhel3 could execute and the BIOS and firmware updates were applied.

So a 'chmod +x *' should have done the trick as well

0 Kudos
foam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was asked to install a browser when i fired up the UpdateXpress. Did you have to install one?

0 Kudos
ROE
Contributor
Contributor

As I remember you get that message when you run the uxspi302.rhel3 without

parameters.

Try ./uxspi302.rhel3 --help for at list of command line options.

0 Kudos
foam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ended up downloading the ISO builder on Windows. That seemed to work fine. (Don’t forget to upgrade CPLD. It is not included in the patching and if out of sync it will break.)

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos