VMware Cloud Community
aaverin
Contributor
Contributor

Routing issue

Hi, all!

I have a simple issue with routing but I can't fix it.

There are 1 vswitch in my VMware network. It's in the vmnic0 and network 152.62.x.x lives there. I'm trying to add 2 virtual machines with IP 192.168.x.x and configure routing between them. I created new virtual network and assigned VLAN ID = 2 and added my two machines 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 into it but the routing doesn't work. What's wrong?

All comments welcomed Smiley Wink

Alexey

Message was edited by:

aaverin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

Is the 192.168 an isolated network that only exist for virtual machines on your ESX host?

If so you will need to setup a vswitch that is not connected to your physical nic Your two 192.168.* virtual machines will get connected to this.

You will need to create a virtual machine with two virtual nics that will function as a router and connect it to both the isolated vswitch and your main vswitch.

You will need to setup the router virtual machine with routing software, or use a small linux router distro, and configure the routes. You will also need to configure your production network to route traffic for 192.168 through your router vm.

Depending on your environment you may run into political, technical other reasons to not do this.

ESX swicthes do not route as you have found out so you can't just create VLANs and have traffic routed between them with having a router involved.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
aaverin
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for you response!

>> Is the 192.168 an isolated network that only exist for virtual machines on your ESX host?

>> If so you will need to setup a vswitch that is not connected to your physical nic Your two 192.168.* virtual machines will get connected to this.

I've set up a new virtual switch and added my machines 192.168.0.4 and 192.168.0.5 into it. There is no connection to the physical nic. I can't ping 192.168.0.4 from 192.168.0.5 and vice versa Smiley Sad

Alexey.

0 Kudos
aaverin
Contributor
Contributor

All is fine, thanks!

A.

0 Kudos