VMware Cloud Community
paulta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Root role was changed from administrator

The root VI web access role was changed from administrator and the only other account with administrator role is vpxuser, how can I get this fixed so that root has the administrative role again.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

pretty much as kumar described - first I would try reconnecting the host to VC - this should have you go through the Add Host Wizard again which should reset the vpxuser account - if that does not work you can remove the host completely and readd it -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
kumarkv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey

Reset password of vpx user from the Service Console. Log into the ESX Server using VI client /Web access and reassign the privilege. I havent tried this. but just thought of this...let me know if this works

Thx

Kumar

Cheers Kumar KV If you find this helpful don't forget to award points
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Be aware if you change the password for vpxuser that VC will not be able to connect to your esx host - because that is the user name VC uses

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
paulta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been told that the only way to fix the issue is to rebuild the ESX host, I was hoping that someone might know a way to avoid that if possible. I am reluctant to change the vpxuser password because I need to be able to move my VM's off of the host before I have to rebuild it. thanks to both for the responses.

0 Kudos
kumarkv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If this works cant we remove the ESX Server from VC and Reinstall vpxagent on the ESX Server ...Add it back to VC. Will it not Reset password for vpxuser? or recreat the ID?

Thx

Kumar

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That will reset the password -

0 Kudos
paulta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I go about re-adding the vpxuser to the ESX host? I am willing to try it tomorrow after I get the VM's migrated off. If it doesn't work I can then rebuild it.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

pretty much as kumar described - first I would try reconnecting the host to VC - this should have you go through the Add Host Wizard again which should reset the vpxuser account - if that does not work you can remove the host completely and readd it -

0 Kudos
kumarkv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Modifying /etc/vmware/host/authorization.xml could solve this problem. See one of my authorization file. You can compare the xml files between your ESX Servers are have this rectified in the problematic server.

Check the portion highlighted. this should fix

-

0 Kudos
paulta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will try it tomorrow and let you know what happens. Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos
kumarkv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any updates ????

0 Kudos
paulta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys! I placed the ESX host in maintenance mode and then removed it from virtual center. I then changed the vpxuser password and was able to logon to the VI web client and change the root role back to administrator. I then put the ESX host back into virtual center and the vpxuser password was reset and everything is working fine now. Quick fix and a blessing in disquise.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

glad to help -

0 Kudos