VMware Cloud Community
xlpnycm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Root partition runs out of space

Hi all.

I have an ESX 3.5 server that cannot be added to a Datacenter, I get an error when trying to add it through virtual infrastructure client: 'Failed to install virtualcenter agent'. I have followed similar discussions that talk about directory /tmp/vmware-root, I have it created.

The only strange thing I've seen is that root partition on sda (/) is at 100% used. I think it is the cause of error, so, can someone point me to which file(s) can I remove to get some free space??

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What's in /var/core?

/Rubeck

LeoR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, you need to tell us what's in /var/core and also, if you're using an older VMware ESX OS (pre 3.5), HA logs into /opt, so give us a du -sh /opt

I would suggest that either you, or someone who you got to install you ESX, did not follow the VAC best-practice guide for partitioning.

You need /home, /var, /var/log, /opt and /tmp partitions to prevent the problem you describe.

---

Leo Raikhman

VMware/Storage consultant

--- Leo Raikhman VMware/Storage consultant http://blog.core-it.com.au
xlpnycm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah!

/var/core was full of *.core files, so I removed them, and it worked; I've been able to install Virtualcenter agent.

I really apologize for my ignorance

Thank You very much guys!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Still I would suggest you try to find out what filled up /var/core in the first place, because there's a big chance it will fill up again in the future...

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos