VMware Cloud Community
tyu7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Root access denied

Hello

I was able to access the SC using root and the password. Now I can't!

Nothing's changed, only one user installed the VI on his PC but sure he didn't change anything?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

From the VI client add a user to the host and try ssh into the SC with that account and su – and see if the root password works then.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Login via the console if you can just check to make sure sshd is running and that nothing has been modified from the sshd_config pertaining to root login. Possibly fatfinger the password or someone changed the password? This a pretty simple thign to verify services/config is running.

Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

From the VI client add a user to the host and try ssh into the SC with that account and su – and see if the root password works then.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default root access via ssh is disabled in 3.5.

Check in VC under the server configuration, security if ssh server access is enabled.

Go to the console and check the following settings in the "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" file (if you want to allow root acces (I wouldn't) and if you don't use public/private key authenticationt):

PermitRootLogin yes

PasswordAuthentication yes

If not, add them and restart the ssh daemon "/etc/init.d/sshd restart".

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If everything else looks good and it looks like you need to reset the root password petri has a good web page on how to that

http://www.petri.co.il/vmware-esx-server-root-password-reset-recovery-lost.htm

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos