VMware Cloud Community
tiger74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ridiculous question about storage

Hi all,

I hope my question is not "too stupid" to be asked.

Using ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5. Guests are w2k3.

From the docs I read, ESX can recognize SAN through the host's hba to be used as Datastore (thus be formatted with VFS).

What I'm confused is: What if I have SAN that I don't want to be use as Datastore for the host? I mean, the SAN has already data in it, and I just want the guests to be able to "connect" to it as ordinary OS - SAN behaviour.

Is it possible? What is the right way to do it?

Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you are referring to in vmware speak is accessing a Raw Lun - to do this you will need to take advantage of an Raw Device Mapping which is a special VMDK file that will redirect the writes to these Raw Luns - check out section 8 of

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

That is not possible. You can not present a SAN LUN directly to a VM since you can not emulate a FC HBA. But since 3.5 you can use NPIV for a VM to present an RDM on the SAN and get a WWN for the VM. But this still runs through the ESX Server.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you are referring to in vmware speak is accessing a Raw Lun - to do this you will need to take advantage of an Raw Device Mapping which is a special VMDK file that will redirect the writes to these Raw Luns - check out section 8 of

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Berniebgf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Don't you love IT.

Both Answers Correct but completely different subjects. It all comes down to how we interpret the request.

Anyway.... Helps with my post count Smiley Wink

Bernie

http://sanmelody.blogspot.com

0 Kudos
tiger74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, thank you for all wonderful contributor in the forum. I hope I'd be able to help others too soon.

0 Kudos