VMware Cloud Community
Andy_Welcomer
Contributor
Contributor

Restore VMs from VCB Backup

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of testing VCB with Veritas 6 for backing up and restoring VMs. Based on some posts before, it seems that converter is the preferred way to restore a VM. For my first restore, I tried to use converter for the restore. The restore was successful, however I have some questions/potential issues. When I powered on the VM, the VMware tools seemed to be non-existent. A result of this was the original NIC and IP were lost. For my test this not a big deal, but we do have some servers that this could be an issue for. Is there a way around this, or do I just need to re-install VMware tools after a restore?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pcomo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

i tested VCB restore using windows share on one ESX server (SMB)

I restored my Veritas backup into the windows share and i use vcbRestore command on ESX server. With this solution i don't lost vmware tools, NIC and IP.

AustinPowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use VCB Proxy and Backup Exec v10D. When we restore a VM we don't lose anything.

Andy_Welcomer
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying vcbRestore, and its not working. I restored the images files to the VCB proxy, and then copied the files to ESX. When I tried to run vcbRestore, I get an error, saying "Error: Containing folder "/datacenters/csc/vm/Discovered Virutual Machine" for VM not found.

0 Kudos
Andy_Welcomer
Contributor
Contributor

I got the machine to restore with vcbRestore, and it looks good except for one thing. In my virtual center console it reports that the tools are out of date, yet looking within the guest OS, everything looks good. When I run the installer, it goes through an installation, not a modify/repair.

0 Kudos