VMware Cloud Community
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Restore Domain Controller VM

We just had an issue with one of our domain controller virtual machines and needed to restore it from a backup. After the restore we are having all kinds of replication issues. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a proper way to restore a virtual machine of a domain controller?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySMX
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How old is the backup? Unless you need that DC for an authoritative restore or some other pressing reason, I always suggest promoting a new DC in place of the failed DC, seizing any FSMO roles and doing a metadata cleanup of the other DC to remove it from AD.

A metadata cleanup is a better option than restoring a DC with an older copy of AD and possibly introducing replication errors into your AD infrastructure.

-Justin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JaySMX
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How old is the backup? Unless you need that DC for an authoritative restore or some other pressing reason, I always suggest promoting a new DC in place of the failed DC, seizing any FSMO roles and doing a metadata cleanup of the other DC to remove it from AD.

A metadata cleanup is a better option than restoring a DC with an older copy of AD and possibly introducing replication errors into your AD infrastructure.

-Justin
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Check out Microsoft article id 875495.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The restored DC is only from the previous day. Is there a way to correct this and resume replication or will I have to remove it from the environment and promote a new DC?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You have to treate the recovery of a virtual DC the same as a physical - there are no short cuts or changes because it is a VM.

See the following MS article.

amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You might find it less time consuming to power down the restored DC and follow the MS articles on removing a dead DC from your AD and install a new VM DC (deleting the old one) - the timeline to do this does depend on the scale of the environment and how long it takes for all the DC;s to be aware of the changes.

0 Kudos
Luckybob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Check this technet article.

If you get frustrated with troubleshooting, reloading and promoting a DC should not take all that long.

0 Kudos
Gfuss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Scott,

Not sure what you're seeing exactly, but after doing a P2V in the past, I had the imported VM go into a USN rollback state (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875495) as it thought it was a restored Domain Controller. In my case, I demoted the newly P2V'd DC, restarted, promoted it back again and all was well as it had a fresh copy of the database.

----

Gfuss

------------- Gfuss
0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks to everyone for your help. Looks like I'll just have to recreate it.

0 Kudos