VMware Cloud Community
tascheHyaene
Contributor
Contributor

ResourcePool.updateConfig failure in /var/log/vmware/hostd.log

Good afteroon,

I'm running a two-node ESX 3.5 cluster with vCenter 2.5. The cluster is running fine, and I recently started scouring logs looking for anything peculiar, just in case.

On one of the nodes, about every 10 minutes or so, two processes start and end in quick secession:

From /var/log/vmware/hostd.log:

Task Created : haTask-ha-root-pool-vim.ResourcePool.updateConfig-270185

Task Completed : haTask-ha-root-pool-vim.ResourcePool.updateConfig-270185

Task Created : haTask-ha-root-pool-vim.ResourcePool.updateConfig-270186

Task Completed : haTask-ha-root-pool-vim.ResourcePool.updateConfig-270186

After doing a vmware-vim-cmd vimsvc/task list, the output informs me that the process isn't running or the process never existed.

But like clockwork, about 10 minutes after the two tasks complete, I receive the following, again from /var/log/vmware/hostd.log:

GetPropertyProvider failed for haTask-ha-root-pool-vim.ResourcePool.updateConfig-270185

GetPropertyProvider failed for haTask-ha-root-pool-vim.ResourcePool.updateConfig-270186

Am I correct in assuming that 270185 and 270186 are references to specific processes?

If so, then why is the process ending and then reporting 10 minutes later that GetPropertyProvider failed? I'm guessing that the ESX box is trying to update the config on one or more resource pools, but why is it failing and should I be concerned?

The Internets and the google did not provide many tasty conclusive morsels in regards to this warning/failure and everything on both ESX boxes is running ok. I just want to make sure that this isn't part of something larger or will become part of something larger later on down the line.

Any opinions/questions/insights would be heartily welcomed.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tascheHyaene
Contributor
Contributor

No takers?

0 Kudos
pboguszewski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are seeing the same type of errors in ESXi 4.1.  We are seeing the messages on 1 out of our 3 hosts.  All are the same patch level, HA and DRS are enabled.  Did anyone ever get back to you on this topic?

0 Kudos
luho
Contributor
Contributor

got any updates on this issue?

0 Kudos