VMware Cloud Community
gmaze
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Resource pools

Quick easy question. I have all my hosts in a cluster. All my guests at the root. If I create resource pools for certain groups of guests am I taking away resources from the root even if the resource pool is not using all the allocated resources?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No a resource pools are mainly for management/security access and they LIMIT a group of VM's to a certain amount of resource, but they don't take anything from the pool, only VM's do that while they are running.

If you reserve a certain amount of memory for a pool, and all the VM's in that pool are running, they will be guaranteed to get that memory, but again this ONLY applies to VM's that are powered on. If your VM's are not on, they won't take any resource.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No a resource pools are mainly for management/security access and they LIMIT a group of VM's to a certain amount of resource, but they don't take anything from the pool, only VM's do that while they are running.

If you reserve a certain amount of memory for a pool, and all the VM's in that pool are running, they will be guaranteed to get that memory, but again this ONLY applies to VM's that are powered on. If your VM's are not on, they won't take any resource.

0 Kudos
gmaze
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.

0 Kudos
joshuatownsend
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

See my post here (http://vmtoday.com/2012/03/vmware-vsphere-resource-pools-resource-allocation-revisited/) for an explanation of how to best use VMware Resource Pools, common mistakes in using Resource Pools, and how incorrectly using Resource Pools can negatively affect performance.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Please visit http://vmtoday.com for News, Views and Virtualization How-To's Follow me on Twitter - @joshuatownsend
0 Kudos