steve10
Contributor
Contributor

Resource Pools or Shares

Hi,

I currently embroiled in a debate over resource pools. I have eight ESX 3.5 servers each running two dual core Xeon's and with 18GB of RAM.I have 32 mixed Linux, Windows and Netware virtual servers.

I want to ensure that the core Linux servers have priority over the other servers. Depending on who I speak to, should I create a resource pool for them or give the higher shares?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Steve

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would always use resource pools, where shares also can be defined along wirh reservations and limits.

Just remember that shares do not come into play unless VM's starts to fight for host resources..

Setting shares/ reservations and limits on individual VMs quickly becomes an admin. nightmare..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'd agree with Rubeck, create a resource pool for your linux servers with a reservation.

This will protect them in the situation where other guests start to hog resources.

- You definitely don't want to set both shares and limits/ reservations. - this can get very confusing.

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
0 Kudos