25600MB

Build/Test

Low

expandable reservation

16000mhz limit

low

expandable reservation

14336mb limit

Should I now limit and reserve per VM or let the pools deal with the resources?

I have currently left the vm's as default.

Some of our VM's are heavy hitting on CPU memory so should I limit them per VM?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bigvee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thats kinda a personal call with your environment....

It depends on the service levels you need to ensure to all environments. If the heavy hitters are in production they can affect the dev and build/test environments. If you set limits on the heavy hitters, it might impact thier performance.

Depends which is more important to you.

Another thing to remember is this only matters in the event of host contention. If the host has enough resources to serve everything up - everything runs at full pop.

0 Kudos
foofighter26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

thanks for your reply, I was wondering more what most people did in terms of leaving VM's as default resource allocation and let pools manage them or limit vms indiviually in the pools?

regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Randy_Evans
Contributor
Contributor

All the virtual machines within a resource pool will be entitled to equal shares of the pool's processor and memory. If you are happy with that then don't change the virtual machine shares.

Within a resource pool, if you want different virtual machines to have different entitlements to processor and memory, then go ahead and change the shares of each virtual machine. This is most easily done by clicking on the resource pool, clicking the Resource Allocation tab, and changing the settings in the Shares column.

bigvee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I personally let my resource pools handle it... We have 300+ VMs though and I dont want to have to keep track of manually edited ones and like to keep things standard.

In my shop if a couple VMs are really using up a large large amount of resources we usually put them to physical hardware.

foofighter26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply.

0 Kudos