VMware Cloud Community
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor

Resource Pool Advise

Hi,

I have a server thast has 8 CPU X 1.6 GHZ and 8 GB of memory.

I have 3 VM Setup. Low resource Pool is Test VM, bkserver and VC are in Hight Resource Pool.

Low Resouce Pool - Test VM ( 2 GB Memory)

High Resource Pool - bkserver vm ( 3 GB Memory)

VC ( 2GB Memory)

In this cases, Am I right to say that Test VM is guranteed of 2 GB Memory, Bkserver ( 3GB memory and VC 2 GB Memory) ?

In cases, how much Processor is allocated to each of the VM?

In addition, if I add a new VM with 2 GB Mmeory into the High Resource Pool, what will be the processing memory and CPU Share performance like.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey Chris,

I think one of your gif have been duplicated.

In anyway, have a read of this document on resource management.

It should clear up what the resource pools can do for you with regards to Reservations / Shares and Limits.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_resource_mgmt.pdf

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It is not so much guaranteed but because the total of the memory assigned to you vm/resource pools is less than 8 GB (7 GB) each when needed will get the memory they require - the amount of processor depends on first how many vCPUs have you assigned and how busy they are - if all the VMs are single vCPUs and all are active the most cpu each will ever get is 1.6 GHz - since a vCPU can only run on a single core -

Adding a new VM to the High Resource Pool will really impact how the recourses assigned to the resource pool - and whether there is contention for the resources - assuming you have left the limit for the resource pool to unlimited - as long as there is no contention the vms will get all the memory/cpu they need

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful