VMware Cloud Community
Abhare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Resize the System drive

Techies,

I only know one way of resizing the C Drive(system drive) that is v2v conversion.

Because when we do v2v. it asks for resizing the disks.

whether Anybody have idea how can we do it without lengthy and time consuming process of v2v.

please share.

regards,

abhi

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rebootuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Abhare.The way I do this is to:

1) Shutdown original vm with the system drive you wish to expand

2) Open original vm proprieties and expand disk of original system, and note which LUN it's stored on

3) Open original vm proprieties and remove system drive from vm (not delete, just remove)

4) Open the proprieties of a second vm, add existing vm disk to system (i.e. navigate LUNs to find original vms system disk)

5) Rescan disks in second vm

6) Open a command prompt in 2nd vm and use the diskpart list volume / diskpart select volume # (where # is number of old vms system disk) extend

7) Shutdown 2nd vm and remove disk

😎 Power up original vm and hey presto, an extended disk!

Hope that makes some sort of sense!

Regards,

Owen

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

My Blog: http://rebootuser.com If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Check out Dell's extpart utility. It works great.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
rebootuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Abhare.The way I do this is to:

1) Shutdown original vm with the system drive you wish to expand

2) Open original vm proprieties and expand disk of original system, and note which LUN it's stored on

3) Open original vm proprieties and remove system drive from vm (not delete, just remove)

4) Open the proprieties of a second vm, add existing vm disk to system (i.e. navigate LUNs to find original vms system disk)

5) Rescan disks in second vm

6) Open a command prompt in 2nd vm and use the diskpart list volume / diskpart select volume # (where # is number of old vms system disk) extend

7) Shutdown 2nd vm and remove disk

😎 Power up original vm and hey presto, an extended disk!

Hope that makes some sort of sense!

Regards,

Owen

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

My Blog: http://rebootuser.com If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Similar solution to rebootuser however we use a ISO with WinPE loaded. Boot the vm from this and then diskpart to complete the extension.

Works very well.