VMware Cloud Community
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Reset Vmotion Nic?

Hi we have two new hosts in their own cluster. One guy set the VMotion IP addy wrong on one of the hosts. Ive change the IP address to the correct one but when I try to VMotion to the other host I am still getting the error the other host is either not configured or misconfigured for VMotion.. Is there a way I can like reset the VMotion NIC so it will see that ive changed its IP to the correct one? I dont really feel like rebooting the host which im sure will fix it but seems a bit over kill...

Thanks guys!

Packetboy.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When vmotion is hanging at 10% is because it has some comunication problem with the other host, look at vmkernel.log for errors and verify that you can vmkping the other hosts from both. and check VLAN settings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you might try service mgmt-vmware restart, that may work.

VMotion ports are static IP, typicall you only need to reset for dynamic addresses, I think you still must have something configured wrong. Delete the vmotion port from the switch and then readd it again.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also verify name resolution to and from each host.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried doing a vmkping to the VMotion IP of the second host to see if they can see each other?

0 Kudos
jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Check VLAN settings on both hosts

0 Kudos
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey hey ok I tried restarting mgmt-vmware that didnt work just readding the vmotion nic that didnt work either but I can ping the IP using vmping and the hosts can ping via DNS name so not a resolution thing... Thanks for the vmping command tho i didnt know about that one!!!

not sure what else could be wrong? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you edit the properties of the VMotion portgroup is the VMotion check box enabled on both host?

packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hmm it was enabled on the one host but not on the other because i deleted the vmotion nic before trying to fix it but strangely that has done the trick unless another step did fix it but then i forgot to retick enable vmotion... but now its hangin at 10% ?!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is it a 100MB NIC or a 1GB NIC? How much memory is assigned to the VM you are trying to VMotion?

0 Kudos
jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When vmotion is hanging at 10% is because it has some comunication problem with the other host, look at vmkernel.log for errors and verify that you can vmkping the other hosts from both. and check VLAN settings.

0 Kudos
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmkping works... vlans are all cool.. looked in logs couldnt see any errors weird.. will have to pick this up on monday have a good weekend everyone... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos