VMware Cloud Community
msalam
Contributor
Contributor

Request for product name not handled by super class!

Just a few days ago I had what appeared to be a successful SBS P2V conversion fall apart completely. The conversion went perfectly. I performed the reactivation. Did the whole "show_nonpresent..." thing and cleaned up all legacy hardware software. Things were looking good. Client tested and confirmed services were up and running, Exchange, SQL. Got the ok. I hadn't left the building for 10 minutes when I get a notification from our NOC that they were seeing disk corruption on the drives. Sure enough, the next day the winologon service crashed and other services started falling apart. Rebooted the server and it never came back...Windows gave me the "the following file is corrupt or missing C:\System32\System" etc. Although I tried salvaging, I eventually had to make the call to revert to the physical box and scrap this P2V. This has never happened before. I should add that I did a cold clone in order to avoid A/D D/C related issues as much as possible. (Host is ESX 3.0.2 update 1 with all patches. Converter was 3.0.2 update 1) Anyhow, while troubleshooting I had a look through the vmware.log for the VM and noiced lines similar to the following repeatedly:

Mar 26 16:12:38.960: vcpu-0| SCSI DEVICE (scsi0:0): Request for product name not handled by super class!+ Mar 26 16:12:38.960: vcpu-0| SCSI DEVICE (scsi0:0): Request for PnP device type not handled by super class! Mar 26 16:12:38.960: vcpu-0| DISKUTIL: scsi0:1 : geometry=4428/255/63 Mar 26 16:12:38.960: vcpu-0| SCSI DEVICE (scsi0:1): Request for product name not handled by super class! +Mar 26 16:12:38.960: vcpu-0| SCSI DEVICE (scsi0:1): Request for PnP device type not handled by super class!

I have spoken with VMWare support but those with whom I have spoken haven't heard of this. I have no idea if this is related to anything relevant or worthy of concern but I am seeing it in the logs for another VM (on a different physical host) that also exhibits strange behaviour. This particular VM is a Windows 2000 machine and whenever it is restarted from within the OS (ie. Start Menu/Shutdown/Restart) it hangs on reboot at the Windows 2000 screen. If I then do a hard reset from the VI Client, it will boot up normally.

Does anyone have any insight as to the meaning of the above mentioned lines from the vmware.log? Cause for concern?

As well, any thoughts on the other two issues I mentioned are welcome (Failed SBS P2V and the Win2K reboot issue).

Thanks everyone!

Mark

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

We have the same issue with a recent P2V.

Out of interest, did your server have Fibre connections present for one of the volumes?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

What scsi controller are you using? What other hardware devices do you have installed in the vm?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
msalam
Contributor
Contributor

No,

In my case it was a single ESX Host, VMFS on local storage.

0 Kudos
msalam
Contributor
Contributor

Server was a Dell Poweredge 2900. SCSI card as I recall was a Dell Perc6. Other than the DRAC there was no other hardware of note...

0 Kudos
msalam
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry...of course that is not a SCSI card. SATA.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I mean in your vm? What kind of scsi controller is in your vm? What other hardware do you have installed on your vm?

-KjB

0 Kudos
msalam
Contributor
Contributor

Oh. Sorry. Was using Buslogic (this is what the P2V defaulted to converting it with). In terms of other hardware, only standard vmware hardware remained. All hardware specific to the physical machine was removed.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Is the guest os type in the vm set to windows 2000? Have you loaded VMware tools?

-KjB

0 Kudos
msalam
Contributor
Contributor

Guest OS set to SBS 2003. VMWare tools loaded. This VM has long since died. I am really just wondering if the messages in my original post are related and whether they can/should be regarded as a precursor to disk corruption or other type of catastrophe.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I would have to say yes. It appears that your SCSI devices (SCSI0:0, SCSI0:1) are being seen, but then the vm could not determine what they were, or what the size was. How big were your disks, and did you have two of them?

0 Kudos
msalam
Contributor
Contributor

There were two disks...roughly 12GB and 250GB. The strange thing is that is ran fine for 12+ hours...then just slowly unraveled. My suspicion is that it started falling apart after we committed the existing snapshots..but I have no idea why...

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

With 250 GB, you were awfully close to the maximum LUN size on a 1MB block VMFS. I'm assuming you used a 1 MB block size, which is the default, please confirm if you changed it. If the ultimate filesize was bigger than 256GB after you applied snapshots, then maybe that caused disk corruption in the 2nd LUN. In your sample output, was their a geomery message for scsi0:0 as well, or only for scsi0:1?

0 Kudos
msalam
Contributor
Contributor

Block size was 4mb. Not sure if there was a geometry message for scsi0:0. I am inclined to assume so given that it represents the windows disk which corrupted.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I don't suppose you still have the vmware.log file, or the vmkernel/vmkwarning file? Maybe some driver problem that was fooling with the filesystem. I can't say for sure just from those messages alone. What kind of storage are you attached to?

-KjB

0 Kudos
msalam
Contributor
Contributor

I have attached the vmkernel, vmkwarning log files. Thanks for your help in this. It is local storage. SATA.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Log file .6 appears to be the oldest. Do you have 7-9?

-KjB

0 Kudos