VMware Cloud Community
bnk
Contributor
Contributor

Removed snapshot and all the vm files disappeared

I have VirtualCenter 2.5 and esx 3.5.

I have deleted a snapshot and suddenly all the virtual machine files are gone.

The snapshot was taken on the old esx 3.0 server, and now removed on a clean installed esx 3.5 server.

In VirtualCenter i can still se the virtual machine, but it is greyed out and it says (invalid).

There is also a yellow exclamation mark on the esx server icon.

When I click on the esx server it says

"Configuration Issues"

Issue detected on esx-3<domain> in <domain>: Virtual machine creation may fail because agent is unable to retrieve VM creation option from the host (vim.fault:NotAuthenticated).

When I tried to find all the vm files, I was very surprised to see that they were all gone.

Strangely I am still able to make a Remote Desktop connection to the virtual machine?

I tried "service mgmt-vmware restart" but it did not help.

Does anyone know how to fix this strange problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

You could start with restarting the VC service. If that doesn't work, remove the VM from the inventory, browse the datastore and add it again.

Duncan

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
bnk
Contributor
Contributor

Is it safe to "service vpxd restart".

If i remove the VM from inventory and browse the datastore I will not bee able to find the VM because the files are gone?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

If you remove the VM from inventory than the files will stay on disk. if you delete the vm than everything is gone. Can you still see the files from the command line if you CD into the /vmfs/volumes/vmfsname/vmname ?

And with restarting VC I mean on the VirtualCenter server. Restarting the Windows VC Service.

Duncan

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
bnk
Contributor
Contributor

If i cd into the vmfs/volumes/...... all the VM files are gone?

But I am still able to Remote Desktop to the VM.. strange...

0 Kudos
MRL1Z4RD
Contributor
Contributor

Just resolved this issue, altho slightly different;

one host had the error;

virtual machine creation may fail because agent is unable to retrieve vm creation options from the host vim.fault notauthenticated

When i tried to do anything with the host or it's VM's, VC kicked me out. VM's wouldnd migrate and gave an error about disks not being able to be seen.

SSH'd onto the host and noticed that it's  id's for the DS's were pointing at different DS's to all the other  hosts!

Performed a esxcfg-rescan vmhba and even  after the rescan the problem was still there.
All the VM's appeared to still be running ok so a hard reboot was out of the question. Failed to go into maint mode.
I eventually did a disconnect and reconnect of the  host in VC and presto, host back with correct ID's for the DataStores and all ok. Now went into maint mode fine.
0 Kudos