VMware Cloud Community
DAbowitt
Contributor
Contributor

Remove Dead Path LUN ESX 3.5

I have two ESX 3.5 servers in an HA Cluster. I had a problem conversion that I stopeed and was unable to delete the data from the datastore. I thus removed the LUN at the SAN level. When I rescanned my IScsi adapters ESX1 showed a DEAD path LUN. ESX2 after rescan did not and showed-up properly. I have rescaned ESX1 twice to no avail. I subsequently added a new LUN and both ESX1 and 2 picked-up the new LUN but ESX1 is +1 on number of LUN indicated due to the Dead path LUN.

ISCSI NAME AND PATH: DEAD

Also when I went to add to storage the 'new' LUN it also showed the Dead Path Lun.

How do I remove the Dead Path Lun from ESX1?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, I know it's too late, but you should never do that!

If you want to remove a LUN from a host, first unpresent it, then rescan. If everything is ok you can delete the LUN, if not you can re-present it.

However, it seems there is either a file reference (VM, ISO, ...) or a running process which points to the deleted datastore. You will have to check your inventory for anything pointing to the deleted datastore. If you can't find anything you could either search for processes or reboot the host.

André

Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert

Hey, Try the below command

esxcfg-rescan -d vmhbaAward Points if helpful!!

DAbowitt
Contributor
Contributor

Came into office today and rescanned on the ESX server and the DEAD LUN was gone from the list. The process must of released itself.

Thanks for the responses.

0 Kudos
vikern
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to Rajeev S for a working answer!
Even worked on my ESX4.1 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
30hotham
Contributor
Contributor

I've encountered the same problem on ESX4.1 and an esxcfg-rescan -d vmhba0 also resolved this for me.

How can I do this via esxcfg-rescan or vicfg-rescan from a vMA? from the vMA the options for vicfg-rescan are different. I don't want to have to logon to the hosts individually.

thanks

0 Kudos
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think you might achieve the same result by accessing the storage section within the VI Client and imitating a rescan.

Thanks, phIL
0 Kudos
vikern
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that for me, and that did not help.

0 Kudos
30hotham
Contributor
Contributor

The rescans via the VI client do not work.

It seems as though these rescans (VI client or vicfg-rescan) look for new devices and mount it if it contains a VMFS volume. The esxcfg-rescan -d from the console is able to delete the path from memory if the LUN has been removed.

Can anyone verify if this is true?

0 Kudos