VMware Cloud Community
paolopdp
Contributor
Contributor

Redirect Snapshot

Hallo

I'd like to backup some VM by VCB. Some .vmdk fitting well into the LUN (There isn't free space) and when I can try to execute snapshot for VCB, it fail because there isn't free space.

My question is: It's possible to redirect snapshot in another LUN where there is free space or into the datastore defined into local disk server and VCB is going there to bring snapshot?

Thank you

P.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You can try simply moving the entire folder via copy/paste in the datastore. That should work. Then you can move it to a LUN with enough space to at least commit the snapshot. Then you should be fine.

remove the VM from inventory first, then reconfigure the vmx after you move the files.

0 Kudos
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can use the copy/paste function or also migrate the vm (with vmdk files) to new datastore where there is plenty of space.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert

No you can't do that.

Try to find a LUN with enough free space and move all the VM folder into it.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe you edit the vmx file and set a parameter

workingDir

to point to a different vmfs

Checkout these other posts.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/653593#653593

http://communities.vmware.com/message/904190#904190

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

thanks for the helpful

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
dougdavis22
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

With current versions of ESX, you can specify a ‘working directory’ on a per-VM basis and all the snapshot files and vswp files will be stored there. You can specify an alternate directory via the working directory (workingDir in the VM’s vmx file) parameter. If you want the vswp files to remain in their original location, you’ll need to add another parameter to the VM’s vmx file – sched.swap.dir = “original_directory”.

paolopdp
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the helpful suggestion.

P

0 Kudos