VMware Cloud Community
rhaaaven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recreating VM after host failure

Hi All,

Yesterday I've encounter an issues that I've trouble to deal with approprietly:

Some old 3.5 host crashed and after reboot one of the VMs (ubuntu) was corrupted/issued in inventory. Normally removing from inventory

and re-registering it again always helped - this time, after removing from inventory - there's no vm file  - only content on attached screen.

I've searched for some solutions but since I have not consistent vmdk - I'm not sure what to begin with ?

Looking forward for some advice...

Many thanks in advance !

vmdk.jpg

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would start by searching other data stores for the VMX file or a directory with the same name as the VM - if you cannot find it I would than attempt to rebuild the VM but instead of creating a new virtual I would slelect use an existing disk and point to the -delta file which is a snapshot -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would start by searching other data stores for the VMX file or a directory with the same name as the VM - if you cannot find it I would than attempt to rebuild the VM but instead of creating a new virtual I would slelect use an existing disk and point to the -delta file which is a snapshot -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rhaaaven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue solved - I've created new VM and edited configuration file to point to correct vmdk and flat file.

Still don't know what happened to orginal .vmx file ? Nothing in logs; I coulnd't find file anywhere else - come corruption on disk maybe ?

Fortunately this is old infrastructue soon to be decommissioned Smiley Happy

0 Kudos