VMware Cloud Community
phyberport
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recommend Anti-Virus?

Can I get some good recommendations on anti-virus for ESX guests? Our current contract is expiring so I'm wondering what others use/recommend.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From what I have heard it is not best practice to install AV on your ESX hosts.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert

Kyle,easy with the knee jerk answer Smiley Happy

He said "ESX guests", as in the guest OS within the VM.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

People call esx hosts just about anything and everything, including esx hosts/guests/servers/etc... So if he was talking about guest OS's my apologies, but the better phrasing would've been what anti-virus would be best for my virtual machines Smiley Happy

Again if you're talking about AV on virtual machines, its definitely user preference, just like why someone likes coke over pepsi. For a corporation/business I would stick with the main players i.e.: Trend/Symantec/CA/Macfee

Me personally I don't like Macfee / Symantec that much but then again thats my personal opinion and experiences with them.

• Kyle

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Coke / Pepsi - Chevy / Ford - Microsoft / Linux - Democrat / Republican - Blu-Ray / HD DVD the battle rages on... and on.

You won't find a good answer for this. Like Kyle said it's your choice, everyone has their own opinion for what works best. We use Trend Micro, which is the World's top selling Antivirus for the Enterprise...

Before we had Symantec. Personally, I think Symantec is poor choice for enteprise software, along with Mcafee. Trend is by FAR the best.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We use Trend Micro, which is the World's top selling Antivirus for the Enterprise... Trend is by FAR the best.

Says who? What basis do you have for making the statment that they are the largest enterprise seller in the world. And how can you prove that they are the best?

(I know trend is a good product I just wanted to prove my point about why people choose an AV over another and to give you crap)

• Kyle

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Sales! contact any industry leading reseller of enterprise software, ask them who sells the MOST copies of Enteprise AV software, Trend is at the TOP of the list 9/10 vendors. CDW, Dell, pretty much any large reputable reseller of software, can tell you Trend is the leading seller of AV software in the Enterprise, That's WHO! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

9/10 vendors... meaning that there is 1 vendor that doesn't believe that they are the worlds leading AV seller, which means there is no definate winner which means you can't say that they are the worlds #1 corp AV. If your numbers are truely right you might be able to say that 90% of the world uses Trend micro but that is definatly not a valid number... so yea WRONG. Thats like me trying to prove that CA is the #1 anti-virus software for exchange servers.....

• Kyle

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

9/10 vendors... meaning that there is 1 vendor that doesn't believe that they are the worlds leading AV seller

Hmm.. by your argument, then 52% of Americans voted Obama, that leaves the rest voting for .. umm..what's his name.. oh yeah.. McCain! He lost, but does that mean Obama isn't the next president Elect? NO! It means that MAJORITY rules, buddy boy! so the majority chose the leader. No one said it had to be unanimous!

If your numbers are truely right you might be able to say that 90% of the world uses Trend micro but that is definatly not a valid number

um.. so I said TOP seller, not the ONLY seller, and maybe it's small margin between Trend, Symantec, and CA but for now Trend is King!

Thats like me trying to prove that CA is the #1 anti-virus software for exchange servers.....

You would be wrong AGAIN! Trend is #1 Exchange, and Enterprise Desktop. Want to go for double jeopardy?

0 Kudos