VMware Cloud Community
dagkl
Contributor
Contributor

Rebuilding kernel in 3.5

I have a Asus crosshair motherboard witha nvidia sata-RAID controller chip. Installed 3.5 on an IDE disk, and booted up. Couldnt see my disks, but ran the lspci command and found the correct ID. edited the sata_nv.xml file and ran the command esxcfg-pciid, and rebooted.

The disks were found, but the RAID were not. I have four disks and have made two RAID1 disks out of this.

I found new drivers on nvidia's site. Copied in the drivers for redhat version 4.4, because they looked newest, and in the same format as in 3.8 which is more similar to the version of esx 3.5, and recompiled the kernel with the commands:

make mrproper

make oldconfig

make;make modules_install;make install

Got a grubby fatal error, but that didnt mean so much. Edited the grub.conf file myself.

When rebooting into the new kernel, a lot of things went wrong. There was no usb, no network, so something is terribly wrong.

I left out the command cp configs/kernel-2.6.9-i686.config .config -f because I beleived it to be specific for the redhat distribution, maybe it was not?

I am also wondering if I am using the correct commands for rebulding the kernel in esx 3.5. Also I am thinking of maybe there is an easier way to do it, as the readme-file from nvidia that came with the drivers, explained that the rpm-file that came along with the driver could be installed this way:

If you install the RHEL4 Update4 before, you just need to run below command:
in 32bit OS: rpm -ivh nvlan-rhel4.4-0.62-1.23.i686.rpm
+ rpm -ivh nvsata-rhel4.4-0.11-1.23.i686.rpm+
+ in 64bit OS: rpm -ivh nvlan-rhel4.4-0.62-1.23.x86_64.rpm+
+ rpm -ivh nvsata-rhel4.4-0.11-1.23.x86_64.rpm+
+ Please append 'replacefiles' or 'force' parameter if it reports file conflict.+
note:
+ 'initrd.img' file will be updated as part of the installation of the SATA driver rpm+
+ package so that the new SATA driver will be combined into the pre-existing 'initrd.img'+
+ image file, the original file will be backuped with '-nv' extension,+
+ for example: initrd-2.6.9-42.EL.img-nv, please specify the old initrd image file in grub+
+ options if encounter the problem with the new one.+

I also noticed that the .img-file was much, much smaller in my new modified kernel, than the old one. Could this have something to do with it? What is the .img-file for anyway?

So there are some questions here:

Am I using the correct driver?

Am I using the correct method for building the new kernel, meaning should I have added some more commands, and left out some other?

Am I using the correct .img-file?

Could I this in an enirely different way? Do I need to rebuild the kernel?

Hope somone can help me out here.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You don't have the src for rebuilding ther kernel...

You must use the NFS protocol to use IDE drive.

0 Kudos
dagkl
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean, the source is in /usr/src/linux-2.4

NFS protocol for using IDE? Do you mean Sata=IDE, and therefore I will have to use NFS to get to them? Or do you mean that I have to use NFS to install to an IDE?

Well,as I wrote, there is no problem to install to an IDE-disk. I have also managed to see the SATA-disks and also install vmfs on them. It is the RAID-part I am having trouble with.

Anyone?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

What do you mean, the source is in /usr/src/linux-2.4

ESX is not Linux !!!

There are actually two kernels involved. The kernel of the Service Console (/usr/src/linux-2.4) and the vmKernel.

You can only rebuild the first one (provided you have the appropriate build environment).

The storage drivers belong to the vmKernel and not to the COS kernel.

0 Kudos
dagkl
Contributor
Contributor

Well, you maybe right, and the storage drivers are belonging to the vmkernel. Then there should be a nifty command to get another card to work or actuallly just replace the sata_nv-driver file with another that works. The vmkernel relies on several files to work, and if one can replace these files maybe it will then work.

But in my opinion you have to get the service console to work properly before you can get the vmkernel to work. When I boot into the service console only, the situation is the same. I can see the four SATA disks but not the RAID disks.

I believe the build environment is correct, but I need the correct compiling commands for rebuilding at least the service console.

My guess is that if this will work, the vmkernel will not load, because there is a mismatch between the two, you will have to correct both things.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The vmkernel relies on several files to work, and if one can replace these files maybe it will then work.

The vmkernel does not need anything in the service console. the service console is nothing but a boot loader and a management interface. Once the vmkernel is loaded, the service console actually becomes a virtual machine and does not control the hardware.

All you are gonig to accomplish by getting the service console to see the RAID disks is to give yourself a whole lot more disk to use for storing iso's at best. The vmware kernel is not going to load a vmfs volume onto this RAID controller.

0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You might want to download the open source code available at :-

Your going to need a lot of luck on this one...

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
0 Kudos
francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You must install VI3.5 on a SATA drive and use IDE with NFS3-UDP for saving VirtualMachine.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Slight correction: NFSv3-TCP

It is not possible for independents to create vmkernel drivers. Remember ESX is NOT Linux. The SC runs as a VM as a management appliance. See how ESX 3i works to see what the future will be like. You can not even access the filesystem directly with 3i.

Considering this, this is why following the HCL is SO very important. VMware has tested various devices, and the community tests more for the set of drivers VMware DOES provide. No 3rd party disk drivers are currently available or can be made.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education. As well as the Virtualization Wiki at http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Virtualization

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
dagkl
Contributor
Contributor

If they are so separated, the SC and vmkernel, why is it so that adding the correct pciid in sata_nv.xml, got my sata-disks to show up both in sc and in the VI client? The VI client will show me what is running in the vmkernel right?

My option is to switch to a sata RAID card that works with ESX, and that I will anyway, because the onboard sataraid controller is a fakeraid. It is using the hosts CPU.

0 Kudos