VMware Cloud Community
Mark_Bayliss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rebuild ESX server - Dell 2950

Hey,

We have three servers (Dell 2950's) running ESX 3.5. One of them appears to be acting weirdly and needs to will need to be rebuilt. All of our servers are connected to a SAN and we do have VC installed on another server.

I was wondering what is the best way to rebuild this server? Never done this before plus I dont want to loose any VM's etc etc. Also are there any recommended doco's I can follow?

Cheers,

Mark Bayliss

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is DRS enabled on your cluster? If it is, then place the host you want to rebuild in to maintenance mode. VM's running on it will be vmotioned off to another ESX host in the cluster. Once the host is in maintenance mode you can shut it off.Remove the host from virtualcenter

Disconnect cables to the SAN from the back of the server, or ensure that the SAN Luns are not presented to the host via the SAN switch (assuming Fibre). Disconnecting cables is the safest option Smiley Happy

Rebuild your host from media either directly or via DRAC virtual media.

Once rebuilt, go back to Virtual Center and re-add the host; I tend to re-add it but not in to the cluster. Reconnect your SAN cables and rescan for your SAN storage.

Once you have the SAN re-presented to the host, then move it back in to the cluster.

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is DRS enabled on your cluster? If it is, then place the host you want to rebuild in to maintenance mode. VM's running on it will be vmotioned off to another ESX host in the cluster. Once the host is in maintenance mode you can shut it off.Remove the host from virtualcenter

Disconnect cables to the SAN from the back of the server, or ensure that the SAN Luns are not presented to the host via the SAN switch (assuming Fibre). Disconnecting cables is the safest option Smiley Happy

Rebuild your host from media either directly or via DRAC virtual media.

Once rebuilt, go back to Virtual Center and re-add the host; I tend to re-add it but not in to the cluster. Reconnect your SAN cables and rescan for your SAN storage.

Once you have the SAN re-presented to the host, then move it back in to the cluster.

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points
0 Kudos
Mark_Bayliss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey,

You could of not explained it any easier. I did exactly what you said and within 1 hour I had a rebuild my ESX server. Fantastic!

I just need to learn how to script a bit of it to add my Vswitches, add users, open some firewall ports , etc etc

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos