VMware Cloud Community
_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

Raw Device Mappings option greyed out

OK, this is probably a newbie question but I'm stuck. I have documentation telling me how to manage raw device mappings but when I get to the point to add a disk of type RDM, the option is greyed out. Presumably I'm missing a previous step but there's a lot of documentation to weed through. Can someone point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Before you can add an RDM, ESX host as to see the LUN as available, otherwise the option for RDM is grayed out. If you just zone'd the LUN to ESX from your SAN, you will have to run rescan on your hba's from service console or vi client, once or twice, until you can see the LUN from your ESX host.

Once you see it, then you can go back and add the disk as an RDM.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

kjb,

I cannot find an option on either my Santricity console or VI client to run a "rescan". Can you provide more detailed instructions?

THANKS!

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From the VI client -> Configuration Tab -> storage adapters. Then it's in the upper right hand corner 'Rescan HBAs'.

You can also do it from the command line ' esxcfg-rescan vmhbaX'

_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

THANKS dominic7!! I must have overlooked that a dozen times. Actually I noticed I/O errors on both of my ESX servers so I rebooted them both. When they came back up I could see the new LUNs. Overkill, I know. Anyhow, I'm back in business.

0 Kudos