VMware Cloud Community
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Random VM Power Off

Just now, all of the VMs on one of my hosts (Host1) just powered off. The only task entry was "Configuring HA on Host1" and it was intiated by the system it seems as there was no user name listed in intiated by. I was able to power the VMs right back up and expereienced almost no down time. Just kind of bizarre the VMs would just go down like that on a single hosts.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Do you have any power outage or your host heartbeat is disconnected by chance? If you check out the HA cluster settings, and under "Host Isolation Respond" what do they all set to? If it set to "Power Off" that might be the problem if the heartbeat network is isolated. But you didn't noticed anything about your host server power or network issue at the moment so i'm sure what causes it. Have you check to see any logs that point to particular events.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Do you have any power outage or your host heartbeat is disconnected by chance? If you check out the HA cluster settings, and under "Host Isolation Respond" what do they all set to? If it set to "Power Off" that might be the problem if the heartbeat network is isolated. But you didn't noticed anything about your host server power or network issue at the moment so i'm sure what causes it. Have you check to see any logs that point to particular events.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That seems to have been the cause. As the host isolation event was set to Power VMs off. I changed the setting to leave VMs on. Im running through the logs now to check for an isolation event.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

sounds like to me, as Stefan said, it was an isolation response for HA. Leave VM's powered on is a great way to get past it. You can also set HA advanced options to use the vmotion NIC as your isolation NIC as well or increase the isolation timeout.

Here is a great link around HA