VMware Cloud Community
ENeumann
Contributor
Contributor

RX-ERR on RHEL3 Guest

We recently virtualized several servers for a customer and we've been running into some issues. I keep seeing rx-err in syslog. The really interesting bit is that these arrors only happen on the web servers, not the application servers. We didn't see this problem when the machines were physical. I thought it might be a problem with the host but all the servers are on different hosts within the same vm cloud. I'm not sure if this is a problem with VMWare, RHEL3, or maybe an application we're using that doesn't like vmware. Perhaps certain versions or apache or jboss?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ENeumann
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, we're running ESX 3.5 update 2, i believe and VCenter 2.5

0 Kudos
ENeumann
Contributor
Contributor

I did a netstat -i and this was my output.

Iface MTU Met RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP TX-OVR Flg

eth0 1500 0 17372870 9 29 0 18110862 0 0 0 BMRU

lo 16436 0 8796739 0 0 0 8796739 0 0 0 LRU

We run a script to read this output aver 10 minutes or so. Every now and then, the RX-ERR will increase. Now, we have 200 linux machines and this is not normally supposed to happen. From what I understand, this error comes from a problem with the port or the cable. However, this is a virtual machine so it has neither. and we're not seeing this error at the ESX level or on any other VMs (there are 8 out of the 200 vms we have that are having this problem).

0 Kudos