sgunelius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

RHEL VM not working with 2 VLANs

I've got a few RHEL 5.4 VMs and need them to access two different VLANs, one public and one private (heartbeat). I've been able to create the port groups to support the VLANs on the vSwitch and configured the VLANs within HP Virtual Connect using the VC cookbook and Scenario 1:5 – VLAN Tagging with a Shared Uplink Set (SUS) to define the Associated Networks (VLAN tagged). I can bring the VMs online with eth0 assigned to the public VLAN, but I've been unsuccessful with adding another adapter (eth1) and using that with the private VLAN.

I've even tried reconfiguring one of the VMs to only use the port group with the private VLAN assigned to eth0 and still have no connectivity. I'm stumped. I thought that since I have the port groups setup the same and the VLANs identified the same that everything would work the same, but I must've missed something somewhere.

I'm using a BL465c G6 as my ESX 3.5 host in a c7000 enclosure. I only have two pNICs in the host and two 1/10 VC-E modules in interconnect bays 1 & 2. I'm using port 4 in each VC-E module to support the SUS and the switch ports for these connections are trunked to support the native VLAN (COS and vMotion network), the public VLAN and the private VLAN. I am running the latest firmware revision on the server hardware, enclosure and VC modules. What kind of rookie mistake did I make? I'll open a support call on this as well, but I'll be darned if I can't figure out why one VLAN works and the other does not. Thank you in advance for your response.

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sgunelius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It turns out that while all the VLANs were configured at the edge switches, the private VLAN wasn't configured on one of the core switch connections and that's why it wasn't working. As soon as the network supervisor configured this VLAN on the core switch, we were golden. I guess this was a good learning experience since we had the physical connections from the VC-E modules distributed between two different edge switches for redundancy and had failed over from the primary edge where all the VLANs were defined correctly to the secondary edge where the private VLAN was missing at the core.

Cheers,

Scott

0 Kudos