VMware Cloud Community
sunil_almeida
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RDM on standalone windows Server

Hi everyone

I have a Question on RDM (Physical and Virtual ) . Is it possible to use RDM LUNs on a standalone Windows server, i tried disconnecting a RDM from a VM and assigning it to physical server, however upon rescaning the HD, the server found an unreadable partition.

Is this a normal behaviour ?

Thanks

Sunil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That should be possible. Since you are using it in physical mode you can also use your san features to clone or snapshot it before the move as a fast backup.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, its a foreign partition. VMFS volumes are proprietary to VM Ware, and can ONLY be recognized by the vmware service. Even the OS in ESX can't recognize a VMFS volume without the necessary VM Ware services running.

0 Kudos
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

ESX server does not write to the RDM LUN (the R is for 'raw', after all) unless you accidently tell it to do so. The content of the RDM LUN are supposed to be under full control of the VM's operating system.

Can you describe some more details of your configuration?

0 Kudos
sunil_almeida
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a LUN of 200 GB attached to a VM File Server , this LUN is attached to the VM by means of Physical compatibility RDM mapping , the LUN is NTFS formatted (E drive within the File server)

Is it possible to detach this LUN from the VM machine and assign it to a Physical server without losing the data ?

Thanks

Sunil

0 Kudos
Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That should be possible. Since you are using it in physical mode you can also use your san features to clone or snapshot it before the move as a fast backup.

0 Kudos