VMware Cloud Community
Jessicas_Dad
Contributor
Contributor

RDM on HP EVA Question

Hi

This is just a clarification question rather than a problem.

I have 4 ESX 3.0.2 hosts connected to a HP EVA array. I have created a LUN on the EVA and presented to all ESX hosts.

On a virtual machine on ESX1 i have added this new LUN as an RDM and that's all fine.

Once i have done this if i go into the VI Client for ESX1 and 'add storage' i can not see this LUN - which i would expect.

What i have noticed is however on ESX2, ESX3 and ESX4 i can still see this LUN if i do 'add storage' and therefore potentially use it by mistake - which i find worrying.

If i VMotion the VM to ESX2 then the LUN is no longer viewable on ESX2 but again available on the others ?

Am i doing something wrong or is this just how it is ?

Any help appreciated

Richard

0 Kudos
7 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

FYI: this thread has been moved to the ESX Server 3.x Configuration forum.

Oliver

VMTN User Moderator[/url]

0 Kudos
rDale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

are your lun numbers different for the rdm on each machine ?

0 Kudos
Jessicas_Dad
Contributor
Contributor

No - the LUN numbers for the RDM LUN are all the same across ESX hosts.

Another poster has suggested:-

You need to rescan the HBa's and refresh the VMFS so that the other servers understand you allocated the LUN.

You should get an error message when you actually try to overwrite the LUN from another server.

So i will give that a try.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Jessicas_Dad
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that suggestion and it made no difference.

I added the RDM LUN to a VM, mounted it and created some files.

I re-scanned it on all the HBA's on the other ESX hosts.

On a Physical server different to the one with the active VM I went into storage, clicked add storage and it let me pick up the LUN, initialize it and mount it as a datastore. Going back to the VM that had it as an RDM and it is now unformatted with all data lost.

Hmmmm

0 Kudos
Nibor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm seeing the same issue on our EVA too. Quite dangerous yes Smiley Happy

BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

Quite dangerous yes

I agree!! I agree!!

I suggest to reserve a range of LUN addresses (e.g. 20..39) for RDMs and document the use of each address separetely (text file or spreadsheet).

Jessicas_Dad
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your responses.

It would appear that's just the way it is ( unless anyone else knows different ) - and that caution is to be exercised :smileyalert:

0 Kudos