VMware Cloud Community
LFC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RDM VMFS LUN Size

I currently have 10 physical servers (SAN attached) which I am planning to virtualise.

My plan is to convert the WIndows OS's to be VM's, then use RDM 's to connect back to the existing LUNs on the SAN.

As I understand it, I use a small VMFS datastore to hold the metadata for the RAW SAN LUN. Is there a 1 to 1 relashionship between the mapping data store and the RAW LUNs? e.g. I will need 10 small VMFS LUNs, each holding a single mapping file for a single SAN LUN, or can I put them all together on a single VMFS?

What is the benefits and drawbacks of each? and how big does the VMFS used to hold the mapping files need to be?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Try having a look at these

www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_server_config.pdf &

www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_san_cfg.pdf

Good Luck

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
LFC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, so the documentation says > Add a disk to the VM > Select Mapped LUN > Select the RAW LUN > Select the datastore - done!

Should I have a dedicated datastore for RDM's, or are they ok to be on the same datastore as the VM's. If using the same datastore as the VM, does the VMDK file show up in the VM folder?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As long you don't use RDM's in shared mode (for Microsoft clustering), you can have the VMDK pointer files on the same VMFS.

0 Kudos