VMware Cloud Community
Isaac_Story
Contributor
Contributor

RDM Pointer files left behind after SVMotion

I just performed an SVMotion on a VM that has two RDM LUN's attached to it. The SVMotion completed successfully, but it left behind the rdmp files on the source lun. From everything I have read I understood that SVMotion would move the rdmp file too. If you look at the VM properties in VC, both RDM luns show as being mapped through the new datastore. But when I look in the VM folder on the new datastore (the destination LUN for the SVMotion) I do not see any rdmp files for these RDM LUN's. I am really confused.

Can I just manually copy those rdmp files over to the new VM folder? Any thoughts?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The rdmp files are pointers, so worst case, you can re-create them. Is the vm up and running using the disks that are mapped raw? I would shutdown the vm, move the rdm files, and startup the vm, and see if the vm complains about missing files.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

RDM pointers are not moved by the SVMotion migration process they are recreated on the target VM config. In order for it to be recreated the RAW LUN must have the same LUN # mapping and on the target ESX host.

vExpert 2009

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
legisilver
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but since the VM is already in another datastore and up and running and the RDM accessible, can those old files be removed?

0 Kudos