VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

RDM LUN Question

One particualr client will have a Window 2003 VM with a few volumes on it. They will likely periodically increase the size of these volumes. I understand my choices VMDK or RDM. VMDK will require a power down of the VM before I can increase the VMDK size. With the RDM, I could do this on the fly so, I'm leaning that way.

What I don't like about RDM is it appears the LUN will forever show as a device under "Add Storage" as opposed to disappearing like when you create a datastore out of that LUN. My fear is that someone might carelessly grab the RDM and format it as a VMFS datastore.

• Are there ways to hide these RDM LUNs so they don't show in the "Add Storage" window?

• Is there a failsafe that would prevent someone from mistakenly choosing and RDM device from "Add Storage" and blowing it away?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RGS3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I havent heard of any possible way to hide it.

You should however think about getting granular with permissions in your environment and give only few access to do these things, especially when its so easy to blow an RDM away. You can create custom roles and under privileges NOT check the box for "Virtual Machine/Configuration/Raw Device"

This would be your failsafe.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RGS3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I havent heard of any possible way to hide it.

You should however think about getting granular with permissions in your environment and give only few access to do these things, especially when its so easy to blow an RDM away. You can create custom roles and under privileges NOT check the box for "Virtual Machine/Configuration/Raw Device"

This would be your failsafe.

0 Kudos