VMware Cloud Community
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

RCLI command is not working

I installed VI Perl Toolkit version: 1.6 on Windows 2003 server (vCenter Server). I didn't get even a single output for its PL files, which are placed in bin folder. I can find lot of pl files in the directory D:\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin. But i couldn't get output for any of my command. I received lot of errors like:

• Error connecting to server at 'https://servername/sdk/webService'

• Login failed due to a bad username or password (I am sure that my credentials are perfect)

• When i run any command, it is showing the help content.

I have given my inputs below which i tried. Please let me know if i am doing anything wrong.Don't give any reference links because i am already fed up with all those links. If you can, please provide the screenshot of your command and its output.

D:\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin>vicfg-mpath.pl --server 10.216.241.10 --username "root" --password "Passw0rd123"

(I have tried with my administrator credential, which was created for admin roles. It contains all privileges as root.)

Thanks,

Ganesh

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you're getting "Login failed due to a bad username or password", it means you're probably not specifying the correct username or password. Verify by logging into the vSphere Client and if you're using ESXi, make sure that if you're using root that you don't have lockdown mode enabled.

If you're trying to run vicfg-mpath/esxcfg-mpath, you need to specify at least one paramter else you'll just get the help menu.

Try this using the -l flag which will list the paths

D:\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin>vicfg-mpath.pl --server 10.216.241.10 --username "root" --password "Passw0rd123" -l

Here is a screenshot using vCLI 4.1 vicfg-mpath, you can update to the latest version and it will still be backwarsd compablity with VI 3.5 or vSphere 4.x

12-20-2010 9-29-17 PM.png

FYI - The reason people provide links to the documentation is majority of the time, users don't actually read the documentation before using some of the CLIs and then ask questions which can easily be answered by taking a look at the referenced material.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you're getting "Login failed due to a bad username or password", it means you're probably not specifying the correct username or password. Verify by logging into the vSphere Client and if you're using ESXi, make sure that if you're using root that you don't have lockdown mode enabled.

If you're trying to run vicfg-mpath/esxcfg-mpath, you need to specify at least one paramter else you'll just get the help menu.

Try this using the -l flag which will list the paths

D:\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin>vicfg-mpath.pl --server 10.216.241.10 --username "root" --password "Passw0rd123" -l

Here is a screenshot using vCLI 4.1 vicfg-mpath, you can update to the latest version and it will still be backwarsd compablity with VI 3.5 or vSphere 4.x

12-20-2010 9-29-17 PM.png

FYI - The reason people provide links to the documentation is majority of the time, users don't actually read the documentation before using some of the CLIs and then ask questions which can easily be answered by taking a look at the referenced material.

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

Works Perfect ! ! !    Zillion of Thanks.

The reaon why i refused web links, it makes me crazy to read all of them and bit confused me too. Now the things are clear. I got my first output through RCLI. Thanks again and am proud for giving points by clicking "correct answer"

Thanks,

Ganesh

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

FYI - The documentation actually provides you with examples and the correct syntax, I'm pretty sure if you looked up this particular command you would see that you needed to provide an additional flag for execution.

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

Lamw,

After seeing your post, i have reviewed about the additional flags. Then only i understood that the additional flags are mandatory to fulfill the syntax. Also i got to know that the flags are differed for all *.pl files. I think i need to have a homework on them.

I took my first step in RCLI with your help. Credit goes to you . . .

I need your continuous support to set my footprint in RCLI.

Thanks,

Ganesh

0 Kudos