VMware Cloud Community
Bri1
Contributor
Contributor

RAID Card Not Detected

Greetings,

I have a whitebox server in my test lab with an LSI MegaRAID SATA 300-8x adapter and two RAID groups configured. Up until a couple days ago, this box was running ESX 3.5u2 just fine. Then I did a fresh install of ESX 3.5u4 and suddenly ESX can't see this storage adapter at all. (Not in the initial CD setup, not after ESX is installed, and not after a rescan.) I've reinstall several times, but no dice. I even tried booting from an older ESX insall CD (build 11026), and its CD setup didn't see it either.

Initially, I thought that the adapter might be bad, but when booting from a DiskDirector CD, I can see all of the RAID groups just fine. Plus, after I pull out the card (or move it to a different slot) and reboot the box, ESX redetects the NICs, so the card's presence/adsence is being detected somewhere.

I've tried digging through the logs, but I'm not really sure what to look for. Here's what seems relevant:

rc: Starting megaraid_sas_ioctl: succeeded

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-2

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-14

cimserver: RawIpmiProvider::initialize: No IPMI Interface. Will not be polling

cimserver: VmHostRaidProviders::VmHostRaidProviders Can't found any controller...

Not really sure what else to try... Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your discussion has been moved to the VI: ESX 3.5 forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
Bri1
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I found the answer. ESX (still) doesn't quite support that adapter properly.

lspci said "LSI Logic / Symbios Logic: Unknown device 0409", so I edited /etc/vmware/vmware-devices.map and added "device,0x1000,0x0409,scsi,LSI Logic MegaRAID ,megaraid2.o". A reboot later, the card was detected.

I reread this thread (http://communities.vmware.com/message/432956) and I vaguely remember having to do something like that back in the day when I first built that box.

0 Kudos