VMware Cloud Community
VMvareUpgrade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Quick Question

Just to know if I can put a Host Server in Maintenance mode without have a Virtual Machine downtime.

I'm upgrading from 3.01 to 3.5 and in one cluster I have four 3.01 and one 3.5. In this moment, I have a error message where HA agent fail to be configured.

1-Can I have this kind of coabitation?

2-If I try to put the hOst in Maintenant mode t o process to the others Host, Will I have a downtime?

3-How Can I resolve my HA issue?

Thanks

|The Best Guy

|MSc in IT, University of Evry

|MCSE(Microsoft), CCA(Citrix)

|Paris-France

|The Best Guy |MSc in IT, University of Evry |MCSE(Microsoft), CCA(Citrix) |Paris-France
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Try reconfiguring your HA on the cluster level.

When you put your host in maintenance mode it should vmotion the machines across to other hosts.

If not you can manually vmotion them over. With vmotion there is no downtime.

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Hi,

I am guessing that your new 3.5 host is not configured to align with the other hosts.

Have you got a unique swap file configured?

Have you verified that all storage is available and common accross all hosts and that your networking port groups existand are named identically too?

Once these all align, you should be able to enable HA (right click the host again and select 'Reconfigure for VMWare HA')

There are several scripts out there that can verify your config for you. Try http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/04/22/vmware-vsphere-health-check-report-v10/ or http://www.ivobeerens.nl/?p=256

I had a problem when I upgraded to 3i some while ago - the casue was that some storage ghad been mapped using host name and some using IP address . . also, even case faults in mappings can cause issues.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
VMvareUpgrade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks,

At end, I just reconfigured the HA in this cluser.

The upgrad is processing and I hope that I will not have any issue untill the end of the upgrade to 3.5.

Thanks

|The Best Guy

|MSc in IT, University of Evry

|MCSE(Microsoft), CCA(Citrix)

|Paris-France

|The Best Guy |MSc in IT, University of Evry |MCSE(Microsoft), CCA(Citrix) |Paris-France
0 Kudos