VMware Cloud Community
steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Question on shares settings...

When creating a resource pool I have set the CPU shares to "high"...

When I browse the "Resource Allocation" tab, and see the individual VMs inside the resource pool, the shares are setill set to "Normal"...

Can someone explain to me how this works? Should I set shares to "high" both on the resource pool and for the individual VM? I just assumed that any VM that moved into a resource pool with "high" shares would have it's individual share settings set at that point...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

correct if all the VMs share settings are the same then they will divide up the CPU resources equally when there is contention for CPU belng delivered by the RP -

If the RP Limit is set to unlimited that means the RP has the ability to use all the available CPU resource of that host/cluster - and once again if all the VMs shares were equall then they would equally divide the CPU resources if there was contention - if the RP is able to satisfy the needs of all the CPU requirement then shares will not come into play

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The shares set at the Resource Pool (RP) do not change the shares set on the individual VMs within the RP - by setting CPU shares to high will determine how much CPU that resource pool will get when there is contention for CPU against the othe RPs at that level - the shares of VMs will determine how the VMs will split up the CPU resources being delivered by the RP to the VMs when there is contention amongst the VMs for CPU

steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks..

So then effectively if I want each VM in a RP to be equal, then the setting on that VM doesn't matter, only the RP setting matters.

ie. regardless if all VMs in RP are set to normal or high, the share % is the same

If a resource pool is set to unlimited CPU (reservation of say 5000mhz), it will use any other available CPU in the cluster if needed. Is this where setting the individual VMs to high may help?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

correct if all the VMs share settings are the same then they will divide up the CPU resources equally when there is contention for CPU belng delivered by the RP -

If the RP Limit is set to unlimited that means the RP has the ability to use all the available CPU resource of that host/cluster - and once again if all the VMs shares were equall then they would equally divide the CPU resources if there was contention - if the RP is able to satisfy the needs of all the CPU requirement then shares will not come into play

0 Kudos
steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!... We are a pretty big vmware shop, but VERY little experience with resource pools. I was fairly confident I understood how they worked, and you just cleared up any questions I have. Thanks again!

0 Kudos