VMware Cloud Community
FMorales
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question about "Menory usage (Average)" ... in chart

Hello.

Please, I have a basic question .... please, see the picture I attached, I take it with the virtual center ...

grafica,jpg -> Real time

grafica_2 -> past month (it is the only value virtual center foundation show me.

It is a chart of a debian 4.0 etch VM with 1 vcpu and 1024M ... and a reservation of 1024M and Limit : Unlimited

This machine IS NOT running vmware tools

1.- Why this chart show me that the 100% of the memory is 2G and not 1G??? ... it is because the limit is "unlimited?" ...

and ... althought the operative system have assigned only 1G .. it can get more memory if limit is unlimited?

2.- Why the VM has used more that 1024M that is the memory that I assignet to it???

3.- In the entry ..."Memory usage (average)" ..... What does it means? ... please see the top value 75% ... of what??? the total amount memory esx host?

the total memory ever used by the VM?

because please ...see the grafica_2 .... How can I know the reference value of the average memory?

4.- In grafica_2 .... What is the reference???

Thanks a million

Francisco Morales López de Gamarra Vmware VCP | LPI - CCNA
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is a chart of a debian 4.0 etch VM with 1 vcpu and 1024M ... and a reservation of 1024M and Limit : Unlimited

OK, first there is a misconception and confusion around the whole 'unlimited' thing. The unlimited is per VM, it's a way to dynamically throttle the RAM. So you should leave it at 'unlimited'. If you allocate 1G to the VM and it's set to 'unlimited' it means the VM has access to it's allocation, not the entire pool of what's on the ESX host.

The tools don't mean anything either, the tools allows the ESX host to 'see' what the VM is doing (ip address, host name, etc..) and enhance drivers for video, network, and disk optimize for the VM in ESX. And as a matter of principle you should ALWAYS use the tools.

1.- Why this chart show me that the 100% of the memory is 2G and not 1G??? ... it is because the limit is "unlimited?" ...

and ... althought the operative system have assigned only 1G .. it can get more memory if limit is unlimited?

The VM can NEVER go beyond it's original allocation. You set the parameters, and it's limited to 1G. You can uncheck 'unlimited' and vary the memory within the VM limits and change the memory between minimum required for the VM and it's current max allocation in this case 1G. So in essence you can change the memory while the VM is running using this, otherwise leave it on 'unlimited'

2.- Why the VM has used more that 1024M that is the memory that I assignet to it???

Where are you getting more than 1G? I don't see that. In fact according to the chart, you are over allocating memory, cut it in half because it's not being used. Also remember that these charts are from the HOST perspective NOT the VM. So it only means the HOST has to allocate X memory to give the VM it's needed RAM, which means that most of the time you only need to give RAM at less than what the VM needs. So usually you will see VM's with 1G of RAM (inside the guest) and the host is only showing 300Meg allocated, for instance, but the active only spikes for that VM rarely... and even then it barely goes over 50%.

Memory average is the ESX allocation for that VM (it's hard to really judge this). So for the 1G you have allocated, it's only actively using 25%. If you power it off, and change to 512, and power it back on, you will see this graph adjust to around 75-80% now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK, first there is a misconception and confusion around the whole 'unlimited' thing. The unlimited is per VM, it's a way to dynamically throttle the RAM. So you should leave it at 'unlimited'. If you allocate 1G to the VM and it's set to 'unlimited' it means the VM has access to it's allocation, not the entire pool of what's on the ESX host.

The tools don't mean anything either, the tools allows the ESX host to 'see' what the VM is doing (ip address, host name, etc..) and enhance drivers for video, network, and disk optimize for the VM in ESX. And as a matter of principle you should ALWAYS use the tools.

The VM can NEVER go beyond it's original allocation. You set the parameters, and it's limited to 1G. You can uncheck 'unlimited' and vary the memory within the VM limits and change the memory between minimum required for the VM and it's current max allocation in this case 1G. So in essence you can change the memory while the VM is running using this, otherwise leave it on 'unlimited'

Where are you getting more than 1G? I don't see that. In fact according to the chart, you are over allocating memory, cut it in half because it's not being used. Also remember that these charts are from the HOST perspective NOT the VM. So it only means the HOST has to allocate X memory to give the VM it's needed RAM, which means that most of the time you only need to give RAM at less than what the VM needs. So usually you will see VM's with 1G of RAM (inside the guest) and the host is only showing 300Meg allocated, for instance, but the active only spikes for that VM rarely... and even then it barely goes over 50%.

Memory average is the ESX allocation for that VM (it's hard to really judge this). So for the 1G you have allocated, it's only actively using 25%. If you power it off, and change to 512, and power it back on, you will see this graph adjust to around 75-80% now.

0 Kudos
FMorales
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot RParker, I was thinking that the Memory usage average were in Kb .. not in % so I was thinking that it was over 1024M.

Thanks you very much

Francisco Morales López de Gamarra Vmware VCP | LPI - CCNA
0 Kudos