VMware Cloud Community
max2001
Contributor
Contributor

Question about Reservations

Hi everyone,

let us say that you try to power on a VM that belongs to a resource pool where there is currently no resources to satisfy the reservations needed for that VM, however, this Resource pool has expandable reservations enabled.

can you power on this VM?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, you can.... Given that resources are available on the system (or parent resource pool, if this exists)

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
max2001
Contributor
Contributor

that's what I answered for the VCP Mock exam on the vmware education website, but it said my answer was wrong!

0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert

The important thing is in the brackets of Rubecks answer... The information you gave isn't enough to decide wether you can or can not. You need to know if there's a parent resource pool with enough resources.Then and only then you'll be able to poweron the VM.

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Really.... ? Hmmm.. Weird...

From the resource guide:

Understanding Expandable Reservations

When you power on a virtual machine or create a resource pool, the system checks

whether the CPU and memory reservation is available for that action.

If Expandable Reservation is not selected, the system considers only the resources

available in the selected resource pool.

If Expandable Reservation is selected (the default), the system considers the resources

available in the selected resource pool and its direct parent resource pool. If the parent

resource pool also has the Expandable Reservation option selected, it can borrow

resources from its parent resource pool. Borrowing resources occurs recursively from

the ancestors of the current resource pool as long as the Expandable Reservation

option is selected. Leaving this option selected offers more flexibility, but, at the same

time provides less protection. A child resource pool owner might reserve more

/Rubeck

resources than you anticipate.

0 Kudos
max2001
Contributor
Contributor

that is exactly my understanding, but the answer was wrong. it doesn't make any sense though, i guess vmware themselves should correct the answer of that question, it is so frustrating all the time i wasted on research and in the end they have a problem with their own mock exam!

poor of VMware.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

What were the options for answers? Yes, No, ???

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers[/url]

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos