VMware Cloud Community
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question Regarding ESX 3.5 Update 3 and 4 patches

If I'm currently on ESX 3.5 Update 3 (And VC 2.5 Update 3) is it safe to say I probably don't want to take many patches after 3/30/09? Looking at most of them they seem to be geared for ESX Update 4. I mean some don't say just for update 4, but unless I go through every singe prerequisite I should probably just stay away.

What have you guys done?

THANKS!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Are you looking to update to U4? Or are you looking to stay at U3? If U3, just look at the description of the patch and determine if you need it for your environment. If going to U4, any patch release after U3, will be rolled into U4. Also, U4 has patches released as well.

If you go to U4, remember you should be at U4 or above for your vCenter Server first.

0 Kudos
jrenton
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Its always best to keep your servers patched up to date. If you have any issues and you haven't patched then you may be asked by support to get your servers up to date.

If you have a cluster this is a simple process with Update Manager.

Are you planning to do a vSphere upgrade soon? If not then I would also do an Update4 ungrade aswell.

0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To clarify... I'm on Update 3 and plan on staying there for now. It looks like most of the patches after 3/30/09 are geared for update 4. I do not want to go to update 4 just yet because it requires to update VMware Tools which requires a reboot of the VM's once applied. And Yes, I run Update Manager. Thanks

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

U4 was released on 3/30, and U3 was released on 111/06/08. So any patches you see after 3/30 are for U4. No patches for U3 require upgrades to your guest tools

0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. Its a busy time of year and I do not want to schedule reboots of a few hundred VM's if I went to Update 4. So I guess I'm sticking with update 3 and patches before 3/30 unless I run into an issue where support tells me to update....

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

So I guess I'm sticking with update 3 and patches before 3/30 unless I run into an issue where support tells me to update....

We run U3 and are very happy. Also, depending on your hardware, in our case HP, you would have to upgrade your IM agents if you went to U4

Good Luck!

0 Kudos