VMware Cloud Community
jamesmcniel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Putty and ESX 3.0

I just installed ESX 3.0 and VC 2.0 for the first time to start playing with it. I'm having an issue though trying to putty to the machine. As soon as putty tries to connect it immediately just closes. I get no error or anything to indicate why this is happening. I can putty just fine from my machine to any of the ESX 2.5.x boxes.

Also, when I telnet to the SSH port, it is in fact listening. Anybody experience this problem or have any ideas of what I could try to fix it? VMWare won't give me any support on 3.0 yet.

0 Kudos
56 Replies
steve1214
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am new to vmware and found this forum and would appreciate any help. I am having a similar problem where I was able to putty vmdk files between 2 esx 2.5.x servers with no problem. I wiped and upgraded 1 to 3.0 and qwant to bring over some vmdk files. I am using the lates version of putty and get the following message:

]0;root@SVPVM01:~ \[root@SVPVM01 root]# scp -C root@192.168.58.33:/vmfs/vmhba0:0:0:6/svpapp12v.vmdk

/vmfs/vmhba0:0:0:6/svpapp12v.vmdk

ssh: connect to host 192.168.58.33 port 22: Connection refused

i read all through the posts of this topic and tried everything suggested to no avail, please help.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Steve

are you using the Root user acount to attempt to do this, root by default does not have rights to access the console remotely, you will need to create a new users in the VIC and grant the right to log on remotely, then SU to root.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
steve1214
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes i edited the sshd_config to allow remote root access

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

and you restarted the ssh demon ?

service sshd restart

0 Kudos
james_h_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i am new to ESX 3.x but have just had a 28 blade unit installed. it is a wonderful product...

root doesnt have permission to SSH to the ESX server.

to take care of this, just create another user that does... i chose an account called "ESXadmin"

give him SSH and full r/w/eXe w/o delete and thats that.

or connect as esx admin then "su --" and then do your buisness.

its a nice security feature to keep you from hosing things too easily.

EDIT...

oh, and i hate putty with a passion. get a copy of "SSH Secure Shell for Workstations" whatever version and have fun. its a much nicer interface and when working with 28 different blades, its nice to have profiles and such to go with each blade. putty doesnt do that...

Message was edited by: James

james h.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

oh, and i hate putty with a passion. get a copy of

"SSH Secure Shell for Workstations" whatever version

and have fun. its a much nicer interface and when

working with 28 different blades, its nice to have

profiles and such to go with each blade. putty doesnt

do that...

Sorry to say so, but Putty does support profiles.

Not liking the tool is of course your choice.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
steve1214
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes i restarted the demon on the 3.0 server

0 Kudos
Pisapatis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can someone help me on PUTTY? I installed ESX 3.0 on a server. I just downloaded PUTTY and installed on Windows XP workstation. I am using port 22. I am getting timeout on connection. The command screen is blank with a blinking block cursor. Where I am going wrong?

0 Kudos
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Also, when I telnet to the SSH port, it is in fact

listening. Anybody experience this problem or have

any ideas of what I could try to fix it? VMWare

won't give me any support on 3.0 yet.

you could always try the new GUI Free product by Veeam called RootAccess for VMware ESX Server 3.0.

0 Kudos
Pisapatis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found it working using the following setup in security profile:

To enable the SSH client on the esx host open the Virtual Center client and go to the host then configuration > Security Profile > Properties upper Right > then check the box to enable the SSH client and click ok.

However, I could not login with the same usercode that I use for "VI client". What is the problem? Is there any encryption?

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you using 3.01?

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This really should be a seperate question, however, you must enable the ssh server, not the client.

0 Kudos
Pisapatis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I am using ESX 3.0.1. I first enabled only the SSH server. PUTTY did not communicate. Later, I enabled client (port 22). Then, I got the longin prompt. BTW, is there an encryption set (either in server or PUTTY)?

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SSH by definition is encrypted. I believe the standard algorhythm is AES-128/SHA1.

0 Kudos
Pisapatis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried AES (SSH-2 only). But, it gives the error with 'access denied'. I tried Veeam RootAccess too. The result is the same. Is this encryption enabled on ESX 3.0.1 too? How do I check?

0 Kudos
Pisapatis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am getting access denied for 'root' user, even though the password is correct. Any reason? I am using ESX 3.0.1 enterprise. Do I have to do something in /etc/ssh/sshd_config ?

0 Kudos
enus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also using 3.0.1 Enterprise and getting the same issue with my root user. I am wondering whether putty is at fault.

0 Kudos