VMware Cloud Community
AustinPowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pulling My Hair Out Over VCB

I'm trying to execute the vcbmounter command from a proxy, and I'm at my wits end.

I know I have an SSL Certificate issue, but I don't think that's causing the "cannot connect" error.

Required services are running on VC. Anti virus is disabled. VCB port is open on the host.

Host file on VC has required entries for name resolution. Xinetd is running on host.

I've tried everything I know, and found, and I can't get past this error.

Help.

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework>vcbmounter -h 10.1.4.14 -u username -p password -r f:\images\test -a ipaddr:10.1.4.21 -t fullvm -m san

Current working directory: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework

HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 2 numThreadsPerCore 1.

HOSTINFO: This machine has 1 physical CPUS, 2 total cores, and 2 logical CPUs.

Using system libcrypto, version 90709F

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Subject mismatch: VMware vs 10.1.4.14

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: The remote host certificate has these problems:

• The host name used for the connection does not match the subject name on the host certificate

• A certificate in the host's chain is based on an untrusted root.

SSLVerifyIsEnabled: failed to read registry value. Assuming verification is disabled. LastError = 0

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection will proceed despite the error

Error: Could not connect to ESX host esx3.fnb.local: Cannot connect to host esx3.fnb.local: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

An error occurred, cleaning up... Deleted directory f:\images\test

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework>

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Between version 3 and 3.5 the Port used for VCB changed, did you check that?

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does that "username" have access to the hosts? Also, VC 2.02 added a VCB User role so make sure the account your using is assigned that role. I don't use my admin accounts to do VCB, but instead use an account that was setup specifically for it so I could add the appropriate role in VC.

adam

0 Kudos
AustinPowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Adam -

I've tried it (a domain user) as VMware Administrator, as well as VCB User, at the Hosts & Clusters level. And rights flow down. There was no change in results. Is there somewhere else the user has to explicity be given rights?

By the way, thanks again for the badge loan at the party.

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have Virtual Center? If so, try this:

vcbmounter.exe -h <fqdn of host or VC> -u <username> -p <password> -a ipaddr:<fqdn again> -r <destination> -t fullvm -m san

I pulled this from the VMworld lab manual. Instead of actual IPs, it uses FQDNs. If you just run vcbmounter with no parameters, it will give some examples.

No problem on the badge. Glad to help out.

adam

0 Kudos
AustinPowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried it with fqdn of VC. The VM is not in the domain (just testing so far, on a scratch VM). No change.

0 Kudos
ghnobile
Contributor
Contributor

Hi AP did you ever get this figured out?

I managed to get it running using a Local User on the VC server and giving the account rights in the VC.

I also had to give the user rights to the directory.

I am pulling my hair out trying to get it running in a batch file now the same commend works on the command line but not the batch file.

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\vcbMounter.exe" -h backup01 -u vcbuser -p xxxxx -a ipaddr:192.168.xxx.xxx -m nbd -r f:\mnt\sf -t fullvm -M 1

0 Kudos
AustinPowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My problem was a DNS issue. I was using a hosts file with pointers to the iSCSI service console, not the default service console ports. Everything worked when that was corrected.

0 Kudos