VMware Cloud Community
ShadowBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with creating new Virtual Disks in Guest

4 TB Lun block size is 8mb with 12 guests connecting to it.

2 TB free space

LSI scsi controller

Not sure if this is just something I am doing wrong or an actual bug but when I attempt to add a new disk either hot plug or cold using VIC the disk is successfully added the guest (windows 2003 sp2) but is only visible in device manager on the guest. Drive has no letter and is not visible in disk management. I noticed the driver for the new disk is not complete but i cannot force any other driver. The only driver file loading is c:\windows\system32\drivers\PartMgr.sys

The two other drives already up and running have

c:\windows\system32\drivers\PartMgr.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys

Seems like it has to have something to do with the missing driver files but removing and adding only causes windows to auto install the same thing and update driver is not helpful since I can't find the correct .inf anywhere on the system. Help please I am rapidly running out of storage on the second disk and need the new one to pick up the slack.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I take it - even doing a rescan in Disk Management has no affect at all...

Of course, a blank virtual disk will still need partitioning and formating...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
ShadowBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Yea rescanning doesn't help and I have tried varying the drive size just for the hell of it with obviously no success there.

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is odd... could it be a window problem. I do this every week and have done for months - and never seen this problem. All I can suggest is used diskpart as way of getting the disk working....

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
0 Kudos
chrisbuzby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

try a local VMFS partition if you have one

0 Kudos
ShadowBrain
Contributor
Contributor

diskpart can't see the disk the only thing that sees the disk is device manager, no other part of the OS and third party software is able to see the disk. A local partition is not an option.

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Out of interest does this just affect this VM or ALL VMs on that ESX host?

I have a feeling this is Windows problem - rather than VMware problem...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
0 Kudos
ShadowBrain
Contributor
Contributor

This issue is affecting every guest on that host, unfortunately i cannot test any other clusters as this host/cluster is separated by hardware differences and the DoD security policy that requires it to be separated.

0 Kudos
chrisbuzby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are all your VMs Windows 2003 SP2? Try with a linux host (can always DL an appliance, possibly not an option due to our earlier DoD reference)

0 Kudos
ShadowBrain
Contributor
Contributor

yes they are all Windows 2003 sp2 and no *nix boxes are allowed on the host/cluster.

0 Kudos
ShadowBrain
Contributor
Contributor

So is everyone else as stumped as I am.... this host/cluster can be restarted if necessary as it is only being utilized between 9-5pm EST... HELP!?!?!?

0 Kudos
chrisbuzby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe try installing a new driver from LSI

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Are you sure the disk was created successfully? Have you tried adding it to another VM?

As for putting a filesystem on the disk, you could also do this using another VM by temporarily adding it there. It is advised to do this using a VM without any active snapshots.

Message was edited by:

wila

Sorry, sounds i missed this part "This issue is affecting every guest on that host"

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ShadowBrain
Contributor
Contributor

At this point I have confirmed that this is a non issue on the main cluster so I will be migrating this server over there and setting up the drives then bringing it back over to the original cluster. Hopefully this will work as a temporary fix until i can resolve the underlining issue.

0 Kudos
ShadowBrain
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE:

So I migrated over to the main cluster and added the disk....seemed to work disk manager could see the drive but it kept timing out while trying to set path and/or format the drive. Gave up on it as I was tired and figured I must be forgetting something simple. Come in this morning (the guest was left on and left with the drive "converted" into disk management last night) and its back to the same issue with only Partmgr.sys in the driver and no recognition other then device manager. Now I am just getting frustrated!

0 Kudos
ORRuss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you creating a new controller, or adding the disk to an existing one?

0 Kudos
ShadowBrain
Contributor
Contributor

adding to an existing

0 Kudos
ORRuss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Will removing the system disk delete the controller, so that when you readd that disk, a new one is created? Not sure, but it might be worth a try.

0 Kudos
ShadowBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Not an option as this is a large production environment in which many of the servers must be up and running 24x7 and a few of them use the same controller.

0 Kudos
ShadowBrain
Contributor
Contributor

I solved the problem by moving the data the server was hosting to another host and just wiping out the server (saves a license at the same time) so This one is done although the cause of the issue is still a mystery.

0 Kudos