VMware Cloud Community
TIM02210
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with Custom Alarms in Virtual Center 2.5.0

I am running VMware Virtual center and Virtual infrastructure Client 2.5.0 build 64192. I just setup the alarms and the default alarms are working properly but the three custom alarms I setup are not. The problem is that they are continually going off even though the metric / threshold has not been reached. I have the alarms set up to email me. For example I have a custom alarm set up to go off if “Host Disk Usage” “Is Above” 90% for warning and 95% for Alert but it keeps going off and the email alert tell me that it is averaging 1% and the yellow and red metrics are both at 0% (see below). This is happening with the three custom alarms that I setup. It is literally flooding my inbox. I have 4 ESX servers and 12 VMs currently running and I am getting over 100 email alerts an hour. I am also attaching a serices of screen shots of the alarm setup, see the document "document.rtf". Any ideas how to resolve this?
Target: eec-esx-bos-004.xxx.xxx
Old Status: Gray
New Status: Red
Current value:
Host Disk Usage - (Metric Disk Usage (Average) = 1%)
Alarm: Host Disk Usage
([Yellow Metric Is Above 0%; Red Metric Is Above 0%])
Description:
Alarm Host Disk Usage on eec-esx-bos-004.msd.govt.state.ma.us changed from Gray to Red
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

that alarm is a little deceiving. You are saying if it's above 90KBps. Highlight the entire trigger and you will see the Warning and Alert change to KBps.

vCenter2.5 Alarms are not so good, that is why only a few canned ones were added. When you get to vCenter4 you'll have a much better selection

0 Kudos
TIM02210
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not clear as to what you are telling me, you you elaborate. I highlight the entire trigger and yes, I do see that it is set to KBps, are you saying it should be set to something else, like MBps? How would I change that. Would I just put in something like 900 / 1000? What would be a suggested setting?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what I am saying is that alarm does/will not work. If you look at realtime usage of your host, even at a very low level disk usage will be way beyond 90KBps. Bottom line is what you are trying to do, cannot be done in the alarm you are setting up, nor with any of the alarms in 2.5.0

0 Kudos