VMware Cloud Community
gpeppa
Contributor
Contributor

Problems while configure Service Console IP

I have problems when I try to reinstall my server ESX 3.5 Update 5, First I configure the IP of the Service Console and put by default GATEWAYDEV on vswif0 on the file /etc/sysconfig/network, then I configure the IP of the Main Service Console and then I edit the file resolv.conf with my DNS. After a reboot the IP of the Main Service Console appears on the screen, its strange becuase it's the first time that happen to me.

Then I delete the vmnic, vswif1 and the portgroup of the Main Service Console and also delete the configuration of the file /etc/resolv.conf in other words I erase the configuration of the DNS servers, after a reboot appears the IP of the Service Console... then I configure only the file of the /etc/resolv.con with my DNS servers and finally after another reboot appears the IP of the Main Service Console... I dont understand why appears the IP of the Main Service Console because when I do second Configuration I dont configure the IP of the Main Service Console this include the vmnic, vswif1, portgroup in other words I don't do this step so Why appears this IP.

Please can someone help me??

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I got a little lost in the question, but have you followed the below KB article, which will give the procedure for changing the IP

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/4309499

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Either he want :

• Service Console Welcome Screen must show ESX hostname (fqdn) instead IP or

• Service Console IP still showing the OLD configured IP instead new one.

Take a look below files to reflect all changes you've made:

• /etc/hosts

• /etc/vmware/ esx.conf

• /etc/sysconfig/network

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
gpeppa
Contributor
Contributor

Let me explain, I always configure Two Service Console's:

• The principal that I call: Service Console and

• The second one or Backup of the Service Console that I call: Main Service Console

So, In the welcome screen should be appear the IP for the Service Console instead the IP for the Main Service Console this is the way that I configure my hosts.

But when I configure the second one appears on the welcome screen the IP of the Main Service Console (or that I call my backup Service Console).

And disappears when I delete the configuration of the file in the /etc/resolv.conf

So I don't understand why the esx after a reboot shows my backup Service Console instead the principal that I usually use for all my configurations.

0 Kudos
gpeppa
Contributor
Contributor

As I explained in earlier replies when I configure my hosts I always use two Service Console's.

• 1The principal that I call: "Service Console" for example IP: 192.168.12.123.

• 2The second one or The backup for the principal Service Console that I call: "Main Service Console" for example IP: 192.168.12.124

So, I configure two Service Console if the vmnic of the principal1 that I call the "Service Console" fails or is down the service still function because I have the second2 or that I call the "Main Service Console" this is the way that I configure all my hosts.

I don't understand when I configure the second one, after a reboot appears on the welcome screen despite I configure the principal1 (that I call: "Service Console") on the /etc/sysconfig/network.

The IP of the Service Console (The Principal1) appears only if I delete the configuration of the DNS in the /etc/resolv.conf

I hope this aditional comments be more clear

0 Kudos