VMware Cloud Community
woodsp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problems upgrading from ESX 3.5 Update 1 to Update 2

Hello,

I used update manager to try to update one of our VMware Hosts that is a Dell 2950 2 x dual core server with 6 network ports and running ESX Server 3.5.0, 98103 to the latest critical patches that are dated 25/07/2008.

The server looks fine in itself - it rebooted ok and the console screen looks fine. But I cannot contact it via its IP address(web console or via ping) or server name in the Virtual Center - the VI Client still thinks it remediating it - several hours after it started!!.

I checked the vswif setup on the console via esxcfg-vswif -l and it looks fine!!

any help/pointer gratefully accepted.

Paul.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It could be that your vmnics were re-ordered, and you no longer have the right physical adapter attached to the right portgroup. When this happens, it's not particularly easy to determine which vmnic should be attached to which portgroup, but you can use vimsh to look at the network hints ( but with the console resolution, this also sucks ).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It could be that your vmnics were re-ordered, and you no longer have the right physical adapter attached to the right portgroup. When this happens, it's not particularly easy to determine which vmnic should be attached to which portgroup, but you can use vimsh to look at the network hints ( but with the console resolution, this also sucks ).

0 Kudos
marvinms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Confession: I have never done a service pack

Is the rearranging of vnics a by-products of updates of service packs?

I have found that during setup I have to use esxcfg-nics -l to document the pnic / vnic location in order to do my cabling, is this still the case.

Marvin

0 Kudos