VMware Cloud Community
angoletti1
Contributor
Contributor

Problems to get the UPDATE MANAGER working

Hi,

I installed the update manager. Every time I try to "Scan for updates", I got the error: "The operation is not supported on the object".

It looks like the update manager can download something, because the update folder grows round about 11MB.

Thanks in advance for any help

Chris

0 Kudos
13 Replies
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you scanning a pre-ESX 3.5.x host? Update manager only supports ESX 3.5 and 3i.

0 Kudos
angoletti1
Contributor
Contributor

Oh ok,

the host is a ESX 3.0.2, so that could be the problem. I thought that work also with 3.0.x.

From Mike Laverick I found a pdf, where he talked about 2 databases for the update manager. Why do I need 2 databases? For what?

0 Kudos
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need 1 DB for VirtualCenter then you need to create another new DB for the Update Manager.

0 Kudos
angoletti1
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I did.

I also updated the host to 3.5. If I now try to scan for updates on the host, it first opens firewall ports and if it try to scan, I get "VMware Update Manager had a failure" and "Metadata for patch missing".

Any idea?

0 Kudos
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm getting the same problem. Ports are opening but closing but the same 2 errors you are getting.

Not sure why yet, away to start investigating....

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

I posted the same error in my thread yesterday. Still don't know whats wrong. It works just fine on VM's - just not on hosts....

0 Kudos
ExCon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I had to guess, I'd say that the error you're seeing is due to the fact that there are no patches available for 3.5, yet... I hit the Update Manager patch repository on VMware a couple of days ago (by pasting in the URL) and the directory was empty.

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

That was my guess too - but I'd say an update to VirtualCenter is in order in order to not give us an error and simply tell us there is nothing available if thats the case.

0 Kudos
PeteyBoy23
Contributor
Contributor

Same error here. The patches on the VMs worked fine (except for MSWU-116) but when I attempt to check for the host, I get the same error. Awaiting an update from VMware as to why.

0 Kudos
xcomiii
Contributor
Contributor

Same error here. If this error indeed is telling that there are no updates available, it should state so instead of a general error.

0 Kudos
xcomiii
Contributor
Contributor

Hm, just did a little research.

The UM succeeds in all updates to my test win2003 servers, except mswu-116, wonder why. If I manually check for updates trough Microsoft Update, it says it already is installed. Maybe a bug in the Shavlik code?

For the ESX host update scanning, the manual says that this is because "Check your network connections to ensure that your metadata source is reachable." But as far as I can see, UM opens the correct ports in the firewall of the host and still can't get the metadata from the server where UM is installed on. Maybe another bug.

0 Kudos
Jason_Richards
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Has anyone had any joy with this?

I am having the same problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
slowroland
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm also receiving this error, if I try to update some virtuel machines. The ESX host is 3.5, the VMware Tools are 64607, the guest operating system is Windows Server 2003 R2 (but no SP2). Some of my virtual machines remediate very well, and others don't. All I get is the nice "The operation is not supported on the object". If I try to scan for updates on these VMs, I get the same error. If I Shutdown Guest first, and scan for updates while the machines are not running, I can do this scan, but the remediate stops again with "The operation is not supported on the object." Does anyone have a clue, what to try and where to look for further analysis?

EDIT: my fault. The ESX host is 3.0.2 - in the inventory under the "Virtual Maschines And Templates"

this VM was located in a wrong folder (where all ESX-hosts have version 3.5), so I assumed the wrong version of the ESX.

Thanks

Roland

0 Kudos