VMware Cloud Community
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problems adding new Host as Eval

I have 4 hosts in a cluster all which have used up all the licenses. I have a test server that I installed ESX on that I just want to use as an eval. I created a new DataCenter for it and when I go to add the host I get the error "There are not enough licenses to perform this operation".

I am not understanding why I can't do this if I just want to eval this host? It shouldn't need any available license right?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can evaluate it as a stand alone host, but if you want to add it into a vCenter instance you still need to have available vcenter agent licenses.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can evaluate it as a stand alone host, but if you want to add it into a vCenter instance you still need to have available vcenter agent licenses.

0 Kudos
mbx369
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi tow-eric,
I faced the same problems just recently.
The thing is, according to VMware, you can't "mix" evaluation-licensed ESX with a valid-licensed vCenter.
Like the suggestion given, you can use this as a standalone ESX.
If you wish to demo a vCenter managing the ESX, you will have to install an evaluation-licensed vCenter to manage this ESX.
Hope this helps. ~~~~~ To Live Is To Die ~~~~~
Please awards points if this was useful. :) ~~~~~ To Live Is To Die ~~~~~ VCP3/4/5
0 Kudos