VMware Cloud Community
zbassman
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with VPN From Guest OS?

I'm running ESX Server 3.5. I have several Windows 2003 Server VMs that need to use a VPN to a business partner. This is a point-to-point VPN. This works fine from physical Windows boxes on the same subnet, but always failes with an error 806 from any of the VMs. I'm wondering if its possible that the vSwitch in ESX Server 3.5 won't fully support the needed VPN protocols.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

What protocol and client are you using? Error 806, I'm assuming you're using MS' PPtP? I've had some issues with MS' built-in PPtP on VMWare products. On my VMWare Server2 host, it mostly works outgoing, but sometimes has trouble with incoming. On my ESX3.5 host and Server2 host, Win2k & WinXP guests running Cisco's VPN, it works. (For Server2, guest must be using bridged networking, not NAT.)

I've noticed that many firewalls and home routers have trouble with the GRE protcol that PPtP uses. Try disabling your firewalls temporarily.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

the vswitch is a dumb layer 2 switch (like plugging in a dlink or linksys). I've never had any problems using pptp from within a VPn (or even into a VM).

UsuallyI only ever see this when there is a nat device in the way which is causing issues.

If you have multiple VM's accessing a business partner's environment you probably should be setting up a network layer ipsec tunnel with the partner (even using a couple linksys devices if necessary).

then you can use routing and security to allow or block specific machines from going over the tunnels...

If you telnet to port 1723 from one of those VM's do you get a response?

0 Kudos
zbassman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was trying to get P working as a work around to a site to site VPN, which was having problems. I finally got the site to site VPN working, so the PPTP problem is moot.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
Docxp1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've noticed you had a problem with VPN on VMs, how did you managed to solve this problem?

I also have a VPN server running on an ESXi , and the clients cannot connect, get Error 800.

On the physical box is working.

Could be a problem with the GRE protocol not getting passthrough ESXi vSwitch?

Thank you,

0 Kudos