VMware Cloud Community
cerosunos
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with Ram size in a windows virutal machine

Hi all,

I have a problem with the ram size in a VM Windows 2003 Enterprise.

I have an ESX 3.0.1, updated to the last patch. The ESX have 16GB RAM, but when I turn on my VM we only have 3,99GB in my Virtual Windows OS.

I have tried to put the affinity in the Advanced CPU tab, but doesn`t work.

I have my doubts with the product named Virtual SMP, I don`t know it the customer must to licence it, If they want to put two or more proccessors in the Windows VM, so the can allocate more memory.

Can some one help me??

Thanks a lot for overything.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
shamim-a
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Virtual SMP is the license whcih we needed if we want to install ESX 3 to a hardware which has 2 or more CPUs.

In your case, please check how much memory you have allotted to Windows 2003 from your Virtual Centre.

Shamim

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

CPU affinity and Virtual SMP have nothing to do with RAM allocation. How much memory have you allotted for this virtual machine?

Is enabled PAE ( setup in the boot.ini file ) in Windows to take advantage of the extra memory?

0 Kudos
cerosunos
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we have allowed 8 GB in the VC memory bar. So everything must work.

The PAE is OK too.

Do you know another solution??

Thank in advice

0 Kudos
shamim-a
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

just 2 suggestions:

1. your host processor is 32 bit or 64 bit?

2. Can u please check windows 2003 enterprise edition maximum memory

support for 32 bit processor?

Shamim

0 Kudos
MayurPatel
Expert
Expert

I would logon to the console and view the vmx file to see if the 8GB memory you are setting via VC has actually been registered.

The chances are your (machinename[/i].vmx) file is not getting updated hence you only have 3.99GB.

Check for the line: memsize = "8000"[/b]

If it has the wrong value then change it and save the file and start the VM it should register 8GB RAM.

0 Kudos
vpalan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, i have the same problem. can any one help me out in this issue.

1. when i try to increase one of my VM from 4 GB to 8 GB. it's windows 2003 enterpise edition and /PAE switch added to boot.ini file and i have enough resouces to increase memory.

am able to view 8 GB ram in edit setting on hardware tab but when i power on the Vm, Vm showing only 4 gb ram or Vm stuck with windows loading screen.

thanks in advance.

Vimal

0 Kudos